Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Distant Melody

My last book review was a bit of a downer, I know. Believe me, I was disappointed as well! However, the more I read A Distant Melody by Sarah Sundin, the more excited I became. This is an excellent book!! First, a small synopsis:

Allie is an heiress to a fortune, and she has always done everything just as she "should" at least according to her parents. June 1942, World War II is just beginning. While visiting for a friends wedding, Allie meets Walt and her world is turned upside down. Walt is a pilot with the Army Air Force. But there is a problem. Allie is dating Baxter, and according to her parents, should be a good girl and marry him so the family fortune remains in good hands. But I don't want to give anything away!! It really is a cliffhanger until the end! Excellent story!

But should Christian fiction just be about "good stories?" Shouldn't it go deeper than just a story, and should it not ride the fence of appropriateness? Allie and Walt struggle with real life issues. And they try to deal with those issues Biblically. Here are just a few of the themes dealt with in this book:
  • Telling the truth at all times
  • Not being unequally yoked with an unbeliever
  • Obedience to God rather than sacrifice
  • The power of prayer
Wow. That's some good stuff. Not only that, but from what I can tell it's pretty historically accurate. (I haven't done a whole lot of in depth study of WWII.)  The writing is also excellent, this one, like my last review is a debut novel. You can tell that the author has done her research and knows her era. My only major issue about this book is "What took me so long to read it??" :) 

I know I've done a lot of reviews in the last few weeks, and I hope you aren't tired of them. This book isn't even for a review program - no one gave it to me to review, I got it from the library. You know I like to share good books and this one merited it's own review. (You can purchase it here.)

PS~ Just in case you are interested - I've been keeping my Book List page updated! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I now have this book on hold at my library. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!