I've had this book finished for a while, but it has taken me a little while to slow down enough to actually get a review written. Any time I have a chance to review a book by Julie Klassen, I will take it! It seems like Christian authors tend to be a dime a dozen, and some write better than others. You can tell the authors that take time to research information about their era (if historical) and really take the time to "flesh out" their characters. Julie Klassen is one of those authors. Once I get into one of her books, I can kiss a "reasonable" bedtime goodbye! :)
In this story, Margaret Macy, a wealthy socialite in 19th century, is forced to flee her home. She finds refuge working as a maid in the home of a man who's love she once spurned. Will she be found out, or will her disguise be enough to keep her hidden?
The story is written in the frame work of an English manor. The author paints a true picture of how a large home such as this was run. Klassen's novels are set in the same time period as those by Jane Austen, but she gives a wider perspective on how society was as a whole, not just focusing on the wealthy. The characters really make this book, and any of her books really. There is only one of her novels that I didn't care for quite as much as the rest for some reason. But any of the other books, I just need think of them, and I remember the heroines... maybe not by name, but I remember their stories. And it's been quite a while since I read her first one. (A quick note here: Her first book, while excellent, I would be careful recommending to younger readers because of the nature of the content.)
A thank you to Bethany House for providing me this copy for review. My opinions are my own.
0 Friendly Greetings:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!