In the book, Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman, two families find out what it would be like to live as Amish in today's society. Julie and her two children, along with Julie's sister-in-law Susan and her daughter, go to live in an old farm house and experience the simple life. It's all done for reality television, but what the two families learn is what is truly important and what is real. Julie also learns a lot about who she is as a person and what she really wants to be.The premise of this book really interested me when I first got the opportunity to read it. So many times in my review book choices, I stick with authors and genres that I know I will enjoy. And very rarely am I disappointed. (Thus so many positive reviews!) :) This book was a little different for me. It really sums up the big interest in Amish fiction in the Christian fiction market. (I do enjoy a little of that myself!) I think so many of us yearn for a simpler life, but the important thing is to really figure out what is really REAL and the most important. Both the women in this book learned some of those things and made it a point to stand up for what they believed was right and best for their families. An great book that grabbed me from the start.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you to Bethany House for providing this review copy. My opinions are my own. :)
Sounds interesting! Seems like there's a book by a similar title, on how to live almost Amish without becoming Amish.
ReplyDeleteHere's the other book: http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Amish-Womans-Simpler-Sustainable/dp/1414326998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350390565&sr=8-1&keywords=almost+amish I haven't read it so I'm not promoting it or anything. :)
ReplyDeleteI read Almost Amish by author Nancy Sleeth..it wasn't a story,but more of a "how to" book. I think I would really love reading this one you have shared. I will be looking for it :) I do consider myself "almost Amish" in many ways :) Blessings to you dear Charity
ReplyDeleteI have looked at the other "Almost Amish" at a bookstore, but haven't read it. It did grab my interest though! I find it odd that two books of basically the same name would be published in the same year, even though they are different publishers... anyway... :)
ReplyDelete