Friday, November 2, 2012
Adoption - Plan A or Plan B?
Adoption may have been our "Plan B" in building a family, but what if our "Plan B" has been God's "Plan A" all along? I believe that it is!
It seems that so many times life is that way. We think we are going to do one thing or go a certain direction and God may lead us in a total different path - closing some doors and opening others. And isn't it so true that God's way is always so much better than anything we could imagine? Sometimes the way may be rough for a while - the best things rarely come easy, but they are oh, so worth it!
Adoption is not second best, or a sub par way to become a family. It obviously wasn't our first choice. Infertility was our "closed door" so to speak. And we feel that God has shown us the "open door" of adoption. So many times we get the comment "Now that you are adopting, you'll get pregnant." Usually I just kind of smile and nod. Yup. I've heard it before.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that we ARE expecting. No, my tummy won't be growing. (At least it had better not... I don't need to gain anything...) ;) But our hearts grow larger each day. We are eager to share the love growing there with the child that will be ours - not by birth, but through the trust and love of birthparents and the miracle that is "Adoption."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
November is National Adoption month. I plan to do several posts about adoption, and my take on it. I'm not sure how many yet... I'll write as the inspiration strikes and I have several drafts already... ;) It won't be quite as structured as last year's posts. But please feel free to revisit last years posts if you have questions on what adoption will look like for us. You can find them in our "Adoption Journey" tab a the top of the blog.
Labels:
Adoption Journey,
Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have so much respect for people who adopt, and I admire their big hearts. I am excited for your adoption work to come to fruition!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! I'm excited for that too!
DeleteI'm looking forward to reading what you write about adoption. I would like to adopt at some point, so I'm following your journey to see what it's like.
ReplyDeleteExciting!! I hope our story is an encouragement! :)
DeleteThanks so much for sharing! I love to read other peoples adoption stories!
ReplyDeleteMe too!! ;)
DeleteChari,
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you & Mark. I know that adoption was God's Plan A for me! I adopted my sweet, now-25-yr-old daughter, Tamika, in November 1993. It was so special to me back then that God allowed her move to my family during National Adoption Month! I'm still so very blessed by Tamika & her family. I have 3 beautiful, sweet grandchildren & another baby girl coming in a couple months! My life wouldn't be as fulfilled as it if God hadn't allowed me to have a daughter by adoption. She didn't grow under my heart...but IN it!
I can hardly wait to see how your Plan A unfolds! Thanks for sharing so candidly about your adoption journey! ...And may special blessings rest on you this month...Adoption Month!
Thank you! It's always a blessing to hear about how adoption has touched others!
DeleteI love you my friend! And I know that our plans and God's plans are not always the same. That's something I've struggled with for a while. I know that soon you and Mark will expand your family, and that, if it's in God's plan, He will send someone my way to start a family.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me think of the scene in Facing the Giants... " I will love Him anyway".
Yes for both of us!!! Sometimes waiting is so hard!! But God's plan is worth it! Oh, and LOVE that movie!! :)
DeleteI've said this before but, once again, you and Mark will make such a wonderful impact on the young life with whom God entrusts you! Blessings, dear friend and cousin!
ReplyDeleteDevan
Thank you!!! Love ya!
DeleteSomeone shared with me once that God doesn't have "Plan A" and "Plan B" but "a Plan". Love that perspective!
ReplyDeleteI'm anxious for you in the waiting process! I so hope your baby comes to you soon!
I like that!! It's us that has a "Plan A" and "Plan B!" :)
DeleteMe too!!!!
Can't wait to see God's plan unfold in your lives....some precious wee one is going to be so blessed to be a part of your family. His ways are not our ways,but his way is always the best way for us....I do believe that with all my heart...blessings sweet friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
DeleteHi! Just found your site at Simply Shelly's. Right now, you can only imagine all of the wonderful and sometimes frustrating experiences ahead of you on your chosen path of adoption. My daughter arrived home to us 29 years ago on October 12 (See my Oct 12 blog post if you are interested in reading about her Gotcha (Homecoming) Day.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how the perspective on things changes when you are looking backward and know how it has turned out so far, than when you are looking forward and have so many questions and what ifs in your mind. I remember being so stressed about the Home Study. It's not as bad as you imagine. They are just looking out for the baby's well being. So are you; so you'll do fine. The days seemed to ooze past as we waited to hear news of each development in the adoption process. We were so excited when we received the tiny little snapshot of "our baby" at time of assignment. Not only did we go to all of our relatives homes to show off the picture, but also up and down the street to show all of our neighbors that tiny little snapshot. Finally when we first held our daughter, and our son, the feeling of it being exactly the way things were "supposed" to be was overwhelming. I felt as if I had always known them. My husband told me he had the same feeling.
With our daughter, I was still very sensitive to the strange things people said without thinking. One question always gave me an attitude, and I had to muster all of my civility to respond, "What is she?"!! I always wanted to say "a baby", but didn't. I told them, "She's my daughter. She is from South Korea." Most of the time they would then say, "Oh, I thought she was Chinese." One person asked if we were going to tell her she was adopted. Since neither my husband nor I are Asian, I think that answer would be pretty obvious. I just answered "Yes, of course." I don't think that anyone meant to be derogatory with their questions. They just didn't think before speaking. I know I've done the same thing in the past. By the time we had our son, I realized that many of the questions were being asked and comments made by people who were either considering adopting children or they were friends or relatives of people who had adopted or been adopted. When my daughter was in her teens working part time at one of the big box hardware stores, a woman approached her and was asking her questions. My daughter thought it was a little strange. As the conversation was ending, the woman asked my daughter to speak about her experience as an adoptee to an adoptive parents group. My daughter declined because she doesn't care for public speaking and she was very busy at the time. My son, 26 years old, is in the Air Force and being Asian in appearance, and having a very Irish sounding last name, has led to many "moments" during roll calls, and especially when he travelled through Ireland. In Ireland, people he met would repeat his last name, ask him how it was spelled, and often end up buying him a Guiness. I think he used Korean American blarney as a conversation ploy with the girls there. During Air Force roll calls, when his name was called, and he responded, they said his name again, and he answered again. Then they caught on. So when people ask questions, if they can be appropriately addressed in front of your kids, you may consider answering them. Your responses will help your child learn to deal with questions that they are sure to receive when you are not around. I don't remember receiving any totally inappropriate questions. If I would have, I believe I would have just told the inquisitor that that's personal. Sorry to have blabbed on so long, but I am excited for you. I hope you keep us all updated as things progress. You will be in my thoughts.
Best wishes,
Susie
Susie,
DeleteSo nice to "meet" another adoptive mom!! :) It's great to hear how you have dealt with different questions etc... helps me think of how I will approach them! We have finished our homestudy, and are currently "in the book" and waiting to meet our little one. We have no idea when that will be, whether we will meet our baby's birth parents first or get a call tomorrow... :) So exiting (and a little nerve wracking...) ;)
Such a beautiful post, Chari! Our idea of Plan A didn't work out either, but God had another Plan =) He knew what was best all along, even though we didn't understand it. I'm so excited for you guys, and I'm hoping that the "nerve wracking" waiting period will go by quickly for you!
ReplyDeleteMe too!! :)
DeleteSuch a sweet post. Praying for the right baby to be sent your way.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
~Heather~
In Colombia
Thank you!!
Delete