Mark and I watched October Baby recently. What a wonderful film! I'm not here to give you an in-depth review of the movie - watch it yourself! :) Mostly I just wanted to give you my reaction to it.***note: post below may contain spoilers!***
I cried.
No, I promise, I'm not one to cry at most movies - in fact, I'm generally a non-crier. But when you bring in adoption... yep, there you might have me!
Within the first few minutes of the movie, you find out that the main character, Hannah, was adopted and she is just finding that out at the age of 19. My reaction in seeing the character's reaction is that "This" is why we want an open adoption. "This" is why we aren't keeping secrets.
As Mark and I sad and watched this movie and cried - we weren't just crying because it was a touching movie. It touched us because we were watching "our daughter." Even though our child will be raised with the knowledge that we became her parents through adoption - there will come a point when that knowledge will make sense to here. All the pieces will fall into place. She will want answers - some answers we won't have - and she will grieve. But in that grieving, we hope she will come to realize that she is treasured and that her life is so precious.
There is so much good in this film, such as the value of every human life. It is inspired by the story of Gianna Jessen, an abortion survivor. Have you seen it? I'd love to hear your reactions to this movie!
****************
This is my last scheduled post on adoption this month. Thank you all for your support and encouragement and for "listening" to my thoughts - random they may be. :) I hope each of you has a very happy Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for!!
I've heard about that movie, and I'd like to watch it!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I enjoyed all the posts. They are very informative.
ReplyDelete