Beautiful in God's Eyes is Mrs. George's study of the Proverbs 31 woman. She covers such topics as time, household and money management, the importance of being industrious, and her relationship with each memeber of her household. The author also describes the historical circumstances that the woman faced and how she reacted to them. George gives practical tips on how to become a Proverbs 31 woman. I know I've said a lot about Elizabeth George before, but she has written so many books that have been a help to me in becoming a good wife. The next Elizabeth George book on my "to read" list is A Wife After God's Own Heart.
I wonder how many of you have read Pride and Prejudice? Sometimes the older books are hard to read simply because of the spelling and terms that we don't understand or we have a hard time completely understanding the plot. I hadn't read any of Austin's books until a couple of years ago (I may have started Emma before then, but I didn't finish until a year or so ago.) Anyway, I really liked this version! My friend that works at the library showed it to me, and I couldn't make myself read the old version! :) I wanted to read this one! Not only does the book have modern spellings instead of some of the older English words, and not only does it define some words that we don't use today, such as panegyric or celerity, but the editors of this version have put other notes in the margins. They included things like historical and cultural details, facts from Austin's life, references of P&P in today's culture, comments on characters and plot, and romantic tips! :) This version is put out by Bethany House Publishers.
Ok, here is another series on my Re-read list! :) I've had this stashed in one of our many boxes of books in the family room. (Oh, for a big bookshelf!!!) :) Anyway, we were talking about them at the library the other week, they had just put the re-released versions in the library, and I remembered I had the whole series at home. :) Anyway, this is a great series for those of you, like me, who need a book to help you relax! I like to enjoy the characters and the plot. I've become more and more a reader that likes books in which nothing to bad happens. But don't think that it is boring! Blackwell is a great author, wonderful at building characters! (which, in my humble opinion, is what makes a good story!) This series is historical, set in England in the late 1800's. These books have humor, romance, and just life! :) I don't know... it's sometimes hard to describe the books you love... try it sometime! :)I would love to hear what some of you are reading! Or re-reading! :)
PS~ Click on the book covers to find these online. :)
I'll have to look up some of these books at the library. I'm always searching for a good read. I really enjoyed "Sense and Sensibility" and need to read Pride and Prejudice as well. I LOVE to read....it's good to know another good reader. :)I think one of the best things you can teach your kids is to read and to love books. We have one bookworm so far. And although Michael is just learning to read,. he still loves to get books at the library and be read to.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am definitely a reader! :) I have been for as long as I remember. Teaching kids to love books starts before they can read, for sure. When Ashlynn comes over, she likes me to read about Peter Rabbit and "Mr. Gregor." She has always loved books. I hope our kids will be readers, I will try my best!! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the book recommends! The version of P&P you mention might be a good one to start with.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree--I don't like a book that is jolting to read but I do like a book that is rich in characterizations.