Monday, August 17, 2009

This little light...

I found this little lamp a while back at a garage sale. I love the style, but it needed a new shade! So I came up with this: (which of course, matches the curtains!)


The black fabric seemed like it could be a little dark, but when I put it on the lamp and turned it on, the flowers popped out! :) It is just right!

It was a very easy project! I bought a self adhesive lamp shade at Hobby Lobby. And (per instructions) used the cover for a pattern, leaving a bit around the edges to work with.

Here's a tip they don't tell you, but it worked well for me: I started covering it by lining up the center of the shade with the center of the fabric - the seam of the shade facing up, and rolled the shade one way, then the other. It gave it a nice smooth finish - no need to iron!

I then trimmed the excess off the bottom. (The instructions say to glue it under, but it won't be seen anyway.)

And then glued my trims on. I started with this for the top, then decided I wanted a little more for the bottom.


Here is is again: I think it turned out pretty good!


It was an easy project, one that I would definitely do again!
hmmm... come to think of it, I need to straighten that fringe! Any ideas?? :)

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! But then, I've always had a thing for red with black and white :) I also have a weakness for hobnail glass. Have you tried spraying the fringe with a water bottle? Not sure if it would work, but it's a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.... that's sounds like a good idea!! **runs off to try it**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It worked pretty good! Thanks!

    (Now why didn't I think of that?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lamp is just the right thing for that room. Now go curl up and read a book beside it. I thought the fringe was just blowing in the wind, could have fooled me. Very cute, I may have to try that in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the lamp and the shade!! I have one of those adhesive shades that I should do something with! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!