Friday, January 18, 2013

Finished Object Friday: A Cake on Fire

Well, not real fire.... unless you are counting the candles. As I mentioned earlier, Mark's brother Ryan turned 30 on Saturday and we had a little party for him. I can't resist a new challenge for a cake! Ryan has worked as a volunteer fireman in one of their local communities. He still has a fireman's heart, so I made him a fireman cake.

I did "cheat" just a tad - the fireman is actually a toy that I found. However, I was glad just to get it pulled together - I was still recovering from that nasty sinus infection. The "fire" idea was from a cake I pinned a while back. Unfortunately, the "fire" did cause some structural damage to the rice crispy house. It eventually fell apart (Much to the joy of several of the guys... they gladly ate the damage!) :) I recommend letting the rice crispies set up more before trimming, and maybe it would be helpful to cut the spots for the flames with a knife before shoving them in. Live and learn I guess. The fireman was pretty pleased with his cake.


How do you like that fire truck? I discovered that it isn't easy to find a simple fire truck... even in the biggest toystore in town!! I actually found this little toy set - fireman, truck and a few signs - at a closeout store. How random! I had a blast with that truck - the lights lit up and a siren went off when you pushed the button!!

The cake was made of my basic chocolate cake recipe... in retrospect, due to the popularity of the "house" I probably could have made the whole thing of rice crispy treats and everyone would have been just as happy! :)

The second cake for last weekend wasn't quite as detailed. In fact, I don't even have that great of a picture of it. However, the attraction was more in the flavor anyway... Mark requests his Mocha Truffle Cheesecake each year. I've never made him a "fancy" cake because cheesecake is his favorite. I must say, it is pretty yummy!!! (This is the recipe I use, although I make the crust quite a bit different.)
Happy birthday to my wonderful hubby!!!! 

How about you? Anyone else got a project to share? (You even got a bonus week to post something this month... aren't I nice?) ;) Maybe you've got some secret Christmas project you couldn't share until after the big day? (Or if you're like me, you did very little Christmas crafting this year... Here's big hopes for an earlier start for that next year!) ;) 

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a finished object but I do want to wish your hubby a happy birthday.
    BTW, the cake is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cakes look fantastic. How did you make the fire? My finished object is a soup because I haven't finished any craft projects this week. They are long-term projects. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fireman's cake looks like so much fun! And your husband's cake sounds delicious. I didn't make anything for anyone for Christmas this year, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cakes!

    I actually have something finished, we'll have to see if I can get a blog post up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the fire made of? this cake is really cute! But all of yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute cakes! Maybe one of these days I will get back to finishing something so I can link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all!! The fire was pretty easy, it is just hard candy - cinnamon and butterscotch - crushed and then melted in to oven on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray. After the candy hardened, I broke it into pieces to look like flames. I think the flames were the most fun of the cake to do... something different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO SO cute! And isn't it funny how something as simple as rice krispy treats are always a big hit?! Everybody loves those =) Mark's cake looks SO good - I have a pretty big weakness for chocolate and cheesecake together ;) The mocha could only add to the goodness of it! Happy Birthday, Mark!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!