Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Book Review: Streams in the Desert Bible

There are a few devotional books that have withstood the tests of time to keep encouraging Christians in their daily walk. Streams in the Desert is one of them. This devotional has a special meaning to me as the Bible college I went to was the same one that Lettie Cowman attended over 100 years ago. Her writings, in my opinion are especially meant to encourage a person who is going through a hard time in their life. I was excited to see a Bible that combines her writings with Scripture.

However... I wasn't overwhelmed with the layout. As I read through several passages, I keep thinking how hard it would be to read a section along with the dated devotional material. Some days are right next to each other and some are spread several pages apart. I understand that the intent is to keep the devotional pages close to the Scriptures they reference, but the layout would make reading through the Bible difficult. I like the idea of having a devotional in the same binding as the Bible, but maybe a daily reading layout would be better - even a suggested reading for the day. I'm also not a huge fan of the NIV either. There are other versions that I like better.

The devotional is in  updated language, which I feel is a good thing. It makes it easier to understand and smoother to read. It is a nice looking Bible and feels good to hold. The paper doesn't feel cheap. It is a good concept, I just feel a little more thought could have been put into the usability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks to Book Look for the review copy. My opinions are my own.

0 Friendly Greetings:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!