The finished product:
I've had this mirror for a while - someone gave it to us. I'm not a big fan of gold like this... but a little paint and sandpaper did the trick!
Before I started: ...the swag is just plopped up there.
The frame is very dark and heavy looking, but I like the scrolling design.
(Click on the pictures to see them bigger.)

In the middle of the process:
I decided to paint first and sand later, the spray pant I used was incredibly fast drying so rubbing off the fresh paint didn't work very well. I liked the sanding because I felt I had more control over the final product versus smearing fresh paint.

I used a fine grade of sand paper to rough up the corners and scrolling. I didn't put a sealant on it. The effect is a distressed look anyway and I also didn't buy any! :)

I like the finished product much better than what it was before (obviously, or I wouldn't be posting, right?) :) The mirror now hangs in our guest bedroom. I want to eventually paint this room, probably a pale green. The quilt on the bed I bought last week or so. The pictures reflected in the mirror are my Grandpa (dad's dad) and his brother, Henry(left) taken in the late thirties/early forties.
I love having my own house to decorate! ... Now if I can only get the family room to look like what I have envisioned!! :)
The frame is very dark and heavy looking, but I like the scrolling design.
(Click on the pictures to see them bigger.)
In the middle of the process:
I decided to paint first and sand later, the spray pant I used was incredibly fast drying so rubbing off the fresh paint didn't work very well. I liked the sanding because I felt I had more control over the final product versus smearing fresh paint.
I used a fine grade of sand paper to rough up the corners and scrolling. I didn't put a sealant on it. The effect is a distressed look anyway and I also didn't buy any! :)
I like the finished product much better than what it was before (obviously, or I wouldn't be posting, right?) :) The mirror now hangs in our guest bedroom. I want to eventually paint this room, probably a pale green. The quilt on the bed I bought last week or so. The pictures reflected in the mirror are my Grandpa (dad's dad) and his brother, Henry(left) taken in the late thirties/early forties.
I love having my own house to decorate! ... Now if I can only get the family room to look like what I have envisioned!! :)
Love the mirror! Hmmmm, wouldn't it look good at Mom's house...just kidding! :) You did a good job.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom
The paint job looks great! I love the quilt I see in the mirror! =)
ReplyDelete