Monday, October 8, 2007

UFO no more!!!

I started this purse and finished the knitting part of it months ago!!! Finally, I have finished it!!! :) (UFO in knitter's terms is Unfinished Object. Not what you were thinking, huh? [that's for you, Amanda!]) :) Anyway, I am glad to finally have it finished. I still have a few UFOs lying around the house, but oh well! :)

The main obstacle to this particular UFO was the fact that it had to be lined! (Left: reported UFO on the material I bought to line it. I love the material!) Sewing is not my favorite pastime, I will do it on occasion, IF I want an item bad enough, and it doesn't involve a detailed pattern! :) Terrible, I know, but don't fault Mom, she tried! :) Anyway, so after abducting the sewing machine several weeks ago, I finally got my nerve up and plowed in!

WHEW! The lining and pockets are finally together in the purse. I don't know how to use the button holer on the machine, so I bought grommets to put the straps through, and the grommets are probably a little more sturdy. I like the way they turned out, anyway. You can see them the best right under the pin cushion.




Here is the trusty little machine that did all, well most, of the hard work. I'm not sure how old it is, but my Grandma used it to sew Mom's diapers! :) It technically still belongs to Grandma, but Mom has had it for about as long as I can remember. This is the machine that I learned my meager sewing talents on and I am familiar with it. Maybe Mom will forget it's over here? Possession is half ownership, right? Oops, she reads this, doesn't she?? Oh, well, maybe Grandma will give it to me? :) hehehe



The finished product!!! Hopefully I will get a lot of use out of it. I think it will be more enjoyable when the weather cools a little more. I got the sweater last spring for a dollar or two at a local closeout clothing store we frequent! Needless to say, it's not quite sweater weather here, but hopefully before too long! I've heard rumors of a cold front coming through! :)

6 comments:

  1. I guess we have more than one thing in common. although I can not knit (though I wish I could) I can sew. And your purse looks really great! I admire your ability to sew on that machine....I wouldn't have a CLUE what to do with it. Is is electric? Still, it's really neat! Especially since your Grandma used it....what an heirloom! I'm really fond of antiques....especially those with an interesting history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you are a lot better seamstress than I am, though!!! Maybe we should team up! :) The machine is electric... although it does resemble some of the treadle ones. It's pretty simple to operate, though. People that own them, won't sell them, they are such great machines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do you charge?? I want a purse like that!! You did a really great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The purse looks great. I would love to learn how to make them. What do I need to do to learn? Maybe I should just have you make me one, it might get done faster then if I try. Anyway Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chari,
    It's your cousin Jen Truitt. Heidi Boardman got me connected with these blogs and I have enjoyed seeing what everyone is doing these days! I also got Lauren hooked up with your "time to bloom' blog. Hope you all are doing well !

    ReplyDelete
  6. HE HE HE....Yup- you guessed it- that is exactly what I was thinking. Awesome purse! I guess the crafting bug is going around. I've made a valance, a couple of necklaces, pajama pants (that were a disaster)and I finished my tray with the pretty paper from Hobby Lobby...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!