Friday, March 14, 2008

Book Review: Loving God

Many of you have probably heard of Elizabeth George as the author of the popular "Woman after God's Own Heart." She has written several other books that I have enjoyed reading and would highly recommend. (I reviewed another one here.) I have been rereading "Loving God with All Your Mind" the past couple of weeks. My version isn't the updated and expanded version pictured, it looks like something worth investing in, though.

I really enjoy Elizabeth's style of writing. She writes in a way that is easy to understand. This book focuses on keeping our minds and emotions in check and in accordance with God's Word. One of the main focuses is taken from Philippians 4:8, "Whatsoever things are true... think on these things." Elizabeth encourages the reader to focus on what is true and real, not on the imaginary or perceived problems, such as what could happen if... or what did so-and-so mean when they said _______? or what if such-and-such never happens. All the "what if's" are not true. When we focus on what is real and true, such as God and His Word, all other things fall into focus.
She also discusses the fact that God has a perfect plan for each of our lives. We can trust in Him because in Him is all wisdom and all knowledge. God understands us perfectly and will work all situations out to our good.

The following is a quote from the preface of the book:

Key to loving God with all our mind is truly experiencing His love for us. On our own power, we cannot change the way we think, but when we draw near to God and spend time getting to know Him by getting to know His Word, He uses the truths there to transform how we think. When we feel weak or overwhelmed by life, He can use Scriptures to give us strength. He can use the truths we find in His Word to fortify us to go on.


Thank you for taking time to read my review. :) I hope someone will find this book as helpful as I have. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Sharon from Oklahoma! Wanted to add that Elizabeth is a wonderful author! I'm actually reading one of her books now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - yes, it has been helpful to me!

    Sharon from OK. :) Good to hear from you!! Y'all still in Oklahoma, huh? Come see use when you have some free time! :) Which of her books are you reading?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!