First of all: BOOKS! (Have I mentioned that I love children's books?) :)
Picture books: 2-? years old
- Peter Rabbit (and others) by Beatrix Potter
- The Three Little Pigs is one of my little friend's favorites right now. One of the neat things about fairy tales is some of the cute variations of the story. There are a couple of fun ones for the 3 Pigs.
- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas and Helen Oxenbbury (She LOVED this one!)
- Also for a little older child: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by A. Wolf as told to Jon Scieszka.
Elementary:
Boys and Girls are still enjoying much of the same books at the younger elementary stage, don't forget the classics. Sometimes you have to introduce a book/series for them to figure out that they like it. Reading to them is a good way to do this and spend some quality time.

- Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
- The Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare (one of my favorites from childhood, one of my teachers read it to us.)
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
- The Mandi Series by Lois Gladys Leppard (Kids love series! and they enforce a certain step in reading skills. Remember reading similar formula mysteries like Bobbsey Twins and Hardy Boys?)
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (I loved many of her books as a girl. Do be aware of the different influences on her writings - a little mystical/spirit of nature stuff. It would be something to discuss, what is the "magic?")
- Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

- The Mars Diaries Series by Sigmund Brouwer (a little Sci-fi I read for my Adolescent Lit class and really enjoyed it!)
- Cooper Kids Adventures by Frank Peretti (He is a very diverse author!)
- The Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn (Don't tell the girls, but I really like the principals that she teaches!)
- I will add more; for a list of non fiction check out Time to Bloom.
- Father Knows Best (great family comedy and lessons learned)
- Cavalcade of America (History, anyone? Well done for their era, especially the ones done in the 40's and later.)
- Of course Adventures in Odyssey! :)
- Miss Potter (even "little friend" enjoyed this one)
- Ocee Nash
- Drive through History with Dave Stotts (Educational and VERY interesting!)
- Boz and Hermie for the young and young at heart (I even enjoy these. and I really like the emphasis both series place on prayer.)
- Don't forget the classics! Shop around The Corner (with Jimmie Stewart)
- Life with Father
- I Remember Mama
- Cheaper by the Dozen (The OLD not the new! Great father figure.)
I absolutely LOVED Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, Charlotte's Web, the Mandi Series, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, and the Christy Miller Series. They were awesome! Still are sometimes! =)
ReplyDeleteFor Audio, Your Story Hour is excellent. Also any of the Focus on the Family Radio Theater.Also, I just wanted to say I enjoyed your post below. It was good.
ReplyDeleteCandles - I love revisiting some of my favorite books. I reread Charlotte's Web recently and marveled at the excellent writing!
ReplyDeleteLinda - YES! Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I have heard some of both of those, but didn't think to mention them. I loved listening to Your Story Hour when I was growing up.
Thank you! I love "The Three Little Pigs"! One of my favorite books! Have you ever read "A Child Called "It"." I love that book, it makes me cry, i have read it about 5 times!
ReplyDeleteCharity, I like your blog. I love Adventures in Odessy! I haven't heard it for awhile. My local Christian station WIBI used to play it every week.
ReplyDeleteI tagged you in my Sunday, 3/30 blog post at
http://celenestreasurechest.blogspot.com/
God Bless!
I absolutely LOVE Life with Father and I Remember Mama!
ReplyDeleteJenny - I've heard of that book, but I haven't read it.
ReplyDeleteCelene - Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon - Aren't those old films great? I love the positive family life shown in them.