Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Knitting Identity

Certain crafters have a certain identity. Or to put it another way, there is a certain stereotype of people identified with certain crafts. If you think of certain crafts, a certain type of person comes to mind: scrapbooker... quilter... painter... However, it is not so much with crafts anymore, and especially with knitters. (Of which, I of course am one!) One of the main reasons for this is of course due to the surge in popularity of the craft. And the boldness that goes along with it. Stephanie, a well known author in the knitting world, calls this "Inexplicable Knitter Behavior" in a recent post. (Disclaimer: I am not promoting her blog.) Not many crafters will take their craft along with them to a coffee shop, or a doctor's office, or a concert. (Scrapbooking isn't exactly portable, anyway.) And not many crafters take finished objects along looking for photo opportunities! Case in point: your's truly this weekend!

A Sock in progress photo. (Yes, I'm finally on the second sock!)

Knitting at a concert. (a little side note: my purse size has grown larger. Guess why? To accommodate my knitting, of course!)

Another progress photo, I know it's not a very good shot, but it proves my point! (I embarrassed my mom taking this one. She doesn't know my behavior has been diagnosed! but Mark is holding it for me, so I guess he is resigned to my "knitterhood.") :)
Oh, and we knitters take opportunities to get great pictures of the finished product! Natural lighting is best, and there are limited opportunities in our own yard! (This one was taken earlier this spring, I featured it in an earlier post.)

Hey, you never know when you are going to need it! I now feel a little funny if I leave the house without something to knit on if I have a couple of free minutes! Another blogger described this phenomena in a post in January. (You never know when you are going to need it!) I love the name of her blog, by the way, "A Friend to Knit With." I need more of those! (Melissa has joined me... any others?) :)


** Note to other knitters: I've discovered I need to take pictures of my finished projects, or I won't remember what all I have done. Ravelry is also a great way to keep track, of projects, yarn, patterns in queue . I encourage fellow knitters to join up... and if you have let me know what your name is there so we can be "friends!" Mine is "Charitree" ...no surprise there!**

8 comments:

  1. What fun that would have been to knit with you at the concert. It looks like ya'll had fun. I like to knit in the car too, but right now I need to start a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, didn't know this syndrome had a name, but it makes sense! I think I have the same problem with reading. If I think I will be sitting for a period of time, I'll take a book. I also usually take too many books. "Maybe I'll finish this one or I will get bored or...." It's gotten better since I came to college Now I occassionally appreciate the rare moment when I do not have something pressing me that HAS to be read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely take a project along with me. I guess when I think of it, I'm on my way out the door and don't want to turn around to get it. I think I'll work on making this a habit! It would make down time a whole lot more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rusty - why didn't you bring the tablecloth? :)

    Melissa - That would have been great!! I know how it feels to be in between projects... a little a loose ends! But it's also fun to think of all the possibilities! :)

    Stephanie - I am that way about books, too, if I am going overnight anywhere. Sometimes I don't even crack them open, but I want to know I have something!

    Gina - I even had a couple of minutes yesterday to knit in the line at the bank. Oh, and you should have seen me a few weeks ago in Home Depot! I can knit Granny's dishcloths and shop at the same time! :) (Yeah, I'm a little out there sometimes! It was fun though!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we are going to be riding in the car for more than 45-60 minutes I always take a quilt along. You will rarely find me without one unless for some reason I don't have one in the quilting stage. I've never been known to take one to a concern tho... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regi -
    I guess quilts would be a little more difficult to take to a concert! They don't exactly fit into a purse. :) Yours are so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sock looks great!

    I agree that knitters have to use bigger purses to accommodate our need to bring along the yarn and needles. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Chari! I have been knitting since I was fairly young, and enjoy it, as well as most other types of needlework (tatting is the only one I can think of that I never really got the hang of), but it's not something I do unless I'm really in the mood for it. Now, my Mom, on the other hand...she either has a knitting or crochet project with her anytime she leaves the house; in fact, there's usually one or two things that she keeps in the car to work on in case she forgot to bring something. She works on it at stop lights (that's three minutes of time that would be wasted), in stores, restaraunts, the Dr., etc. The only place I can think of that she hasn't is at church! One time, she was knitting in a store and this man came running up to her, and said he had been following her for a while, trying to give er yarn back to her. She had dropped her skein of yarn, and as she walked it just kept pulling out!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!