Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sanctuary on a Shoestring - Just a little green!



I wanted to join in with Company Girl Coffee this weekend. The small thing for yesterday was to share a tip on saving money. I thought I would share my tip here for my readers as well as Company Girls. :)

I am not big into "saving the earth" stuff, I feel that God has put the earth here for our use. However, I feel that we are stewards of our resources and should take care of the earth as we can. I do like to reduce the amount of plastic in our home, especially when it comes to bags from the store. That's why I have started using the bags below for the bulk of my grocery shopping.
So where does the tip come in? :) The grocery stores I do most of my shopping at (a chain owned by a local family) for the last couple of months or so, pay 5 cents for every shopping bag I reuse... eventually the bags will pay for themselves! Yesterday, as I finished at the checkout, I received a free bag with my over $25.00 purchase! (It's the new green one on top!) :) Oh, and I really enjoy using these, they are a lot neater and easier to carry than little plastic ones, and you can fit more in them.

Speaking of bags... I do like to get plastic shopping bags occasionally ... white ones, like at Wally World. I use them to line all our small trash cans like in bathrooms. I don't buy small can liners! :)

Thanks to those of you that gave your opinion on the Swiffer last week. I did buy the starter kit - with my coupon (another great way to save $$$) I only spent around $15 - $16 for it. I will be saving money on the pads by knitting some like these, or even using a microfiber cloth as Brittany suggested.

I hope everyone has happy Saturday... It's laundry, cooking and cleaning for me! Our church starts revival services tomorrow, next week will be a busy one!

Blessings!
Charity

10 comments:

  1. I like to use the reusable store bags as well. My store doesn't pay me to use them though! how nice for you! :-)

    For dust mopping with my Swiffer, I use regular terry-cloth washcloths that I bought to use as rags. They work reasonably well. I was in the fabric store a few months back and a lady was buying fleece to use for Swiffer cloths. I think the dust would pick up easier with these, and plan on giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fleece sounds like a great idea! Hmm... you got me thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity,

    I also have those from our local supermarket chain. But I realized that with the heavy use we have given them, they have begun to rip.

    I am beginning to sew these bags with a heavy denim or heavy cotton. This way, they can be washed and mended if the need arises.

    I pray that Our Lord gives your church a great day tomorrow :)

    blessings,

    Lady M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady M,

    I actually do have plans to make a bag or two in the future... of course, that was before I knew I would get them free! :) Really, I think they would make great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that the bag are "paid" for. I think these bags are better than the plastic ones by far. I can just carry one (instead of 3), load up the kid and the bag into the car a lot faster. But we do also use the plastic ones for our trash cans too.

    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that Target has the best plastic bags for reusing. The size is nice and they don't fall apart.

    I have a couple of reusable bags, but I need to jump on the bandwagon. Really, how hard can it be?? You've made it seem easy.

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using the recycled cloth type(but really some recycled plastic material or something weird like that) for my groceries. I love how they don't slide all over the back of my van when I drive(I'm really not a bad driver, really :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sweeper!! It is really handy and since will are pulling up all of the carpet in our house it works really great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those bags. I tend to use them for my crochet projects often...but need to buy more to keep in my car, as I often forget them when I go to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those reusable bags too. I have, over the last several months, bought 3 of the lg. black ones and Walmart and I love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!