Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Littlest Knitter

You may remember Gracie's birthday present. I told you about when she opened it and saw the bag, but I didn't tell you her reaction to the other part of her gift! :)

"I didn't know you were giving me knitting stuff!!" :) (this little girl has the funniest expressions!)

As soon as I gave it to her, she wanted to start learning! (She's one smart little kid - with great coordination. That's why I thought she could handle knitting even at five.) So we set out to learn.

I ended up teaching her the English method. (You knitters know that I prefer Continental, but it was MUCH easier for her to see what she was doing.) It didn't take her long to get the hang of it, and by her second short lesson, she was pretty much on her own. (I do stay pretty close by, she gets frustrated really quickly.)


We did have a few motivational discussions. She wants everything to look just perfect from the first. Once she said, "Look, it has a bump!!" (Bigger loop than all the others.) I told her that it's ok for it to have some bumps, she is just learning. Besides that it is special because SHE made it, if a machine made it, it would be BORING! She liked that. :)

She started out making a blanket for her dolls. She likes to knit in church (a nice quiet project to keep kids occupied!) She'll come in to church and ask me "Did you bring that knitting?" Then sit beside me and knit. :) Monday she and Faithie stayed with me, and she decided she wanted to finish her project. We decided it was a scarf for her dolls.

She was tickled with finishing her first little project. She even helped me sew the ends together. (I did the casting off while she watched.)

I'm glad she enjoyed it, and I enjoyed teaching her! I hope she wants to do "that knitting" again soon! :)

4 comments:

  1. So sweet and what great memories for you both to treasure!
    I like the church idea - maybe I'll teach the girls to crochet LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post...I just recently posted about teaching my two grand daughters crochet...I need some hands on knitting lessons myself. I bought a book and needles but for the life of me can't seem to get the hang of it.....I won't give up though...I will try again soon.....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, all! We have had fun! :)

    Shelley, You might want to check out Knittinghelp.com. That lady has awesome videos of about anything you need to know in knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!