Saturday, May 21, 2011

Preparing for Rain

We had our first meeting with our adoption agency yesterday. The amount of work necessary for adoption is quite daunting - paperwork, doctor's visits (Needles!! not Mark's favorite thing...) home visits, safety work - the list goes on and on...
Leaving the office after the first meeting - we might look just a little dazed....

And we don't even know what lies at the end of all this - this adventure that we are starting. We don't know who our child will be or who he or she will look like. We don't even know when our child will be born! (but we are expecting!) :)

The meeting yesterday - though overwhelming - was also encouraging. A couple who has adopted two children came and spoke to our group. When she spoke about her child being laid in her arms for the first time, it brought tears to my eyes (her tears didn't help matters any...) :) Such a sweet story - and God is in the process of writing our story.

Yesterday evening, I was reading a book (Jo's Boys by Alcott) and came across this line" Get the distaff ready and the Lord will send the flax." It reminded me of this clip from Facing the Giants:



"Preparing the field" - that's what we are doing now. We've got a whole lot more preparing to do than most parents, perhaps. (I wonder how many children would be born, if all parents had these requirements?? How committed would most people be to becoming parents? - those questions are freebies - no extra charge!) :) But when the rain comes, we'll be ready! We don't know what the storm holds - it could be frightening! But only God knows the end of our story.

PS - You might want to have an umbrella handy!! We're expecting rain!

8 comments:

  1. Praying that God be with you both and grant you his favor through the journey ...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left my comments on FB, but I forgot to say...nice picture of the two of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on beginning your adoption journey! The whole process seems daunting, but I'm glad that you're choosing to do it. Christians should have hearts for adoption since we are all adopted into God's family.

    You have a point about how many children would be born if natural parents had to go through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited and happy for you! Praying that your wait will be a short one, and that you won't be "expecting" long. :) God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so, SO excited for you, Charity! My sister & her husband have started their adoption journey through foster care & I am just amazed at all the things that adoptive/foster parents have to do to prove that they will be good parents. You will undoubtedly be more prepared & focused than most biological parents! Congratulations on your expected arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dear Chari, I cry as I read this not from sadness but from joy and excitement for great gift God is going to give you and Mark. I am so excited to be an Auntie and have another child to spoil. I love you so much and an so thankful for the friendship we have had through the years. Praying for you and the child you are expecting. Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've still got my umbrella ready! ;) So excited with you!
    Btw, I forgot to tell you how much I like your new blog look! It's so cheerful and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I hope that all goes well for you. You will be great parents!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!