A couple of weeks ago, I intended to update you all on our adoption process and life now, but after I'd get one book review post done (so I could get more books, of course!), I'd have to take care of a little one! (Who knows how long it will take to finish THIS post!) ;) But recently a friend on a "familiar social network site" asked me about our process because they are waiting to adopt a newborn as well! (Congrats to them!!!! SO exciting!!) So in my answering her questions, and recounting our story to her, I have taken the time to actually get our memories of Joy's first days typed out! So here you go!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joy came a lot later than we thought she would!! We anticipated her arrival a few weeks before Dec. 5th! But God’s timing is perfect and she came wonderfully healthy and ready to eat (and other things babies do so well…) We were able to be at the hospital shortly after she was born and got her soon after we went to our room! Yes, we did have our own room! So nice to be able to have her in the room with us!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joy came a lot later than we thought she would!! We anticipated her arrival a few weeks before Dec. 5th! But God’s timing is perfect and she came wonderfully healthy and ready to eat (and other things babies do so well…) We were able to be at the hospital shortly after she was born and got her soon after we went to our room! Yes, we did have our own room! So nice to be able to have her in the room with us!!
![]() |
| first glimpse!! |
The staff was amazing and so supportive. They
were excited, I think, to know that Joy was going to a home with a mommy
and daddy who loved her and had been praying and waiting for her. The nurses were
all wonderful and so reassuring and kind! I remember each of their names (and
need to write them down before I DO forget!)
Joy’s birth mom did not choose to spend a lot of time with her. Mostly, we
understand, because it was so hard for her to see her. She loves our little Joy
very much! We did get to visit with her some. We met her before the birth and
visited a bit in the hospital as well as at the agency after we were released.
When we first got to meet her, she told us how much she loved Joy and how adoption
was the best choice for Joy. I think a lot of times people think that birth
families don’t want or love the babies placed for adoption. As I talked about
before, these people DO love their babies so much that they choose to put aside
their feelings for what is best! Such a hard choice!! We are so honored to be
chosen to be Joy’s parents!
Joy was actually released then to her birth mom. Mark's parents and younger siblings as well as my parents were at the hospital with us and were able to meet Joy's birth mom. We all went back to the agency to do the paperwork and have a sweet entrustment ceremony. (When Joy's birthmom actually placed her in my arms.) It was sooo hard to watch her walk out to her car alone. We love her and are amazed at her determination to do what was best for Joy!
| At our agency for the ceremony and to sign papers |
After the ceremony, we met up with Mark’s brother and his
wife and had a fun family dinner. Everyone was so ready to celebrate this new little
one coming into our family!!
| With her grandparents! The "1" on the cupcake refers to her being the first grandbaby on both sides! |
We then headed home to our little apartment and
spent the next few days cuddling Joy and getting to know her more as well as
trying to get a bit of sleep when we could!
Joy’s first Sunday at church was also very eventful for her,
as she got to play Baby Jesus in our children’s Christmas program! Yes, it was
a very busy time of year for a new baby to arrive!! We did some traveling and
visiting family and friends as well as our normal celebration of Jesus’s
birth! We are all glad that life seems
to have slowed down just a little bit and we can really settle in to being a family
of three.


What a beautiful story and a beautiful little girl added to your family! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLove the last picture of you holding Joy. What a great story, and thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful story,and the pictures are wonderful...you have yourself a little beauty there...so pretty. All that hair...reminds me of a couple of my grands when they were born...so much hair :) I have her blanket finished....now to get it to you. I am so happy for you both.....what a blessing. My heart does go out to her birth mom though....I'll send up a prayer for her. Blessings
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet, beautiful Christmas present! :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful baby. I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful sharing of yourself! Thanks for allowing us in! So happy you finally get to be a full time mommy!
ReplyDeleteI just LOVE this story! so beautiful. SO thankful her birth mom chose y'all. She's a strong lady to do what she did, so that her baby would have what was best. (it makes me wish I could give her a hug, and just tell her thank you!) That little bundle was well worth the wait =)
ReplyDeleteFellow Texan here, have been reading your blog off & on for a few years now. What a wonderful story!!! I am so glad Joy's birth mom chose you, and I love the way you speak of her, with love and gratitude and respect. It is obvious she loves Joy very much - enough to make such a difficult choice. I am so happy for the way things have worked out, and I bet this was the best Christmas ever!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a neat story! SOOOOOO HAPPY for you! I've been praying that Jesus would send you the right baby ever since I first read your blog off of Brittany's. Praise the Lord that you now have your adorable baby Joy. So SWEET and cute. And I have no clue how that Mother could do what she did. May Jesus bless her too!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy EVERY moment!!! =)
~Heather~