I think that, in a way, true writing is somewhat of a lost art. Let me explain... I do enjoy many of todays authors - I am speaking strictly of fiction here. However, I think that much of the joy of writing and reading is lost in our fast-paced society. Most writing is now verb based versus adjective/noun based. Strong verbs are important, don't get me wrong, but sometimes the adjectives add necessary color. Most of today's writers are writing to this fast paced world, and thus the verbs and the action. People tend to get bored if the book isn't moving as quick as they like - grab them in the first page or don't grab them at all. Sometimes it is good to take a breather from the "new" fiction, and return to something older. Reading to me is a chance to get away from the busyness and frightfulness of this age and escape to a more charming time or place. To expand my mind with new vocabulary and structure - even just the structure of how the words are put together. Hmm.... deep thoughts, any comments?
And now, before I have to prop my eyelids with toothpicks... I'm really tired! :) Here is my quote for today from L. M. Montgomery's Story Girl:
There is such a place as fairyland - but only children can find the way to it. And they do not know that it is fairyland until they have grown so old that they forget the way. One bitter day, when they seek it and cannot find it, they realize what they have lost; and that is the tragedy of life. On that day the gates of Eden are shut behind them and the age of gold is over. Henceforth they must dwell in the common light of common day. Only a few, who remain children at heart, can ever find that fair, lost path again; and blessed are they above mortals. They, and only they, can bring us tidings from that dear country where we once sojourned and from which we must evermore be exiles. The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and story-tellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland.How eager we are, sometimes, for children to grow up! That "age of gold" is so short! Let them be children with all their imaginings and joys!!
good point on adjectives.
ReplyDeletemany of the classics, for some reason Nathaniel Hawthorne jumps to my mind, would spend two pages describing the layout of a room or the reaction of one character to another which in real time would last a minute and a half, but, in the process, bring you in person to the home of Hester Prynne, or reveal the twisted vindictiveness of Roger Chillingworth. And, in the process, say more in two pages than say, James Patterson or Tom Clancy says in a whole book.
Chari - You are so right, and I think that is why I love L. M. Montgomery so much. I know we need to live in the real world, but reading an author that really appreciated all the beauty around her helps us to see the significance in the little things of beauty around us. I'll have to try to find the "Pat" books. I had never heard of them.
ReplyDeleteNathan - It's been a while since I read the Scarlet Letter... I agree about the depth of detail in older books in general. It seems like modern authors don't even bother putting in details - of setting especially. I will be posting a little more on the topic... stay tuned!
ReplyDeleteSteph - Let me know what you think of Pat when you find her. :) Like I said before, I have only read the second one. I am reading the sequel to Story Girl now - The Golden Road. Have you seen any of the Road to Avonlea series? They are based on the Story Girl - by the same people that did the Anne movies. Very well done!