I picked up a book on cake decorating at the library a few weeks ago. It's called Creative Cakes Anyone Can Make by Jill Foster. She has come up with an easy way to decorate cakes - simple and quick! The book also includes an instructional dvd. I highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in cake decorating. Many of her cakes are kid-friendly, meaning that even kids can help decorate them. She used a lot of different candy for color and extra "yum" factor! :)
I finally got ahold of the latest Sisterchicks book: Sisterchicks in Gondolas! I enjoyed reading it, but I have to say that it wasn't as good as Sisterchicks Down Under, which is probably my favorite so far. I do like the way Robin Gunn ministers through her writing. She has been one of my favorite authors for years.
Finally a book I just started, but not new by any means. Mistress Pat by Lucy Maud Montgomery. She is of course the writer of Anne of Green Gables. If you haven't read any of her books, I encourage you to do so. She was a genius at characterization and figurative language. She is inspiring to me, and reading her books is like going on a vacation to a happier world. I love her description of trees:
Trees...to veil and caress and beshadow... trees to warn you back and beckon you on. Lombardies for stateliness...birches for maiden grace... maples for friendliness... spruce and fir for mystery... poplars to whisper secrets. Only they never really did. You thought you understood as long as you listened... but when you left them you realized they had just been laughing at you... thin, rustling, silky laughter. All the trees kept some secret. Who knew but that all those white birches, which stood so primly all day, when night and moonlight came, might step daintily out of the earth and pirouette over the meadows, while the young spruces around the Mince Pie field danced a saraband?
I guess reading her books makes me feel like one of the characters: "I feel shimmery to-day... as if I was made of sunbeams."
Here is a challenge: Read a classic this summer!! :) I know there are a lot of new things out there, but there is something about an old book that expands the mind and broadens the horizens!!!
I guess reading her books makes me feel like one of the characters: "I feel shimmery to-day... as if I was made of sunbeams."
Here is a challenge: Read a classic this summer!! :) I know there are a lot of new things out there, but there is something about an old book that expands the mind and broadens the horizens!!!
Hey Charity!
ReplyDeleteRan across your blog! I like your posts and especially the one about books...very nice! Tell Mark I said hello.
Best,
Josh
Josh,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. Mark said "HI."