Monday, December 3, 2007

@ Home for the Holidays

Happy December, everyone! I can't believe that it is already the last month of the year! Christmas is quickly on it's way!
With that in mind, I thought I would review a Christmas fiction book. I bought this book at the book sale a few weeks ago. The book is @ Home for the Holidays by Meredith Efken. It is quite different from most fiction books. There are no chapters, it is entirely made up of emails from one character to another and to those in the Stay-At-Home-Mom (or SAHMs) email loop. The format took a little getting used to for me, as well as the fact that it is a sequel and I wasn't familiar with the characters, but I adjusted and really enjoyed the book.
Speaking of characters, Meredith does an excellent job with hers. At first they seem a little far out, but they are actually representative of different personality types and different personality extremes. Probably, a reader will find a little of herself in each character. The polarity of the characters adds to the humor.
And the book is quite humorous! I found it to be very enjoyable. The format is more lighthearted, and is a rather quick read, despite the book's almost 400 pages. However, Meredith does deal with some serious topics, such as marriage problems, adoption, and over commitment.
One of the points that the author is making through this book, is her opinion of the War on Christmas. I'm sure you have heard of different aspects on this topic. Such as, how some stores no longer use the word Christmas in their holiday advertising.

I am too tired tonight to wax eloquent, but I did want to pose a question... What do you think about the War on Christmas? For the perspective of Meredith Efken click here. I had heard more of the opposing view to hers, but what she has to say did make me think. It is important to keep all things in balance. As for me, I want to wish someone a "Merry Christmas" and to put "Merry Christmas" on my Christmas cards, because that is the day that I am celebrating. I will probably be more likely to shop stores that support the celebration of Christ's birth. But is this "war" something to get so bent out of shape about? What do you think?



Faithie says that it is a great book to read before going to bed... just cuddle up in some nice warm jammies and grab a sippy cup of milk! :)

1 comment:

  1. Uh, oh....no one's going to touch this one!!! So, I'll be brave and comment. I do enjoy shopping at the stores that have pretty Christmas music...Like Hobby Lobby...(don't we live there?!!) ...and that seem to have in perspective the true meaning of Christmas. I can by-pass their Santas and go to the manger scenes! I tend to not want to go to the stores that seem to overtly ignore the very reason we have Christmas. And I wish that I could get done with all my shopping so that I don't have to get out in that madhouse world of gimme-gimme, gotta have it! Oh, to just be home with family and loved ones, listen to beautiful music, enjoy the fire, fellowship,and food and celebrate the new-born Babe!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!