Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Time to Knit

Most people, when they find out about my knitting "habit" comment that "I would never have time for that" or "I just don't have the patience." Several years ago, this might have been my comment as well. Frankly, it's all in the perspective.

If my ultimate goal was a lot of finished products I could probably find a more profitable and productive hobby. I guess for me, knitting has become more process over product. I love learning new knitting techniques. One of my goals for 2008 was to learn to knit socks. (I've started my 7th pair!) I also enjoyed learning to cable, use double pointed needles (dpn), and even a little crochet - for faster straps and loops. I always have enjoyed learning - about most things. :)

Knitting is also a great stress reliever. The repetition of the movement and the clicks of the needles are very soothing. I've laughed imagining if I get on an airplane... I will be knitting furiously! Yarn has become rather a "lifeline" for me! :) One common phrase in the knitting world is "I knit so I don't kill people." For some, this may not be too far from the truth.

How many of us like waiting around... at the doctor's office, in line at the bank, riding in a car... For me, this is just extra knitting time. You look at all this waiting a little differently if you have something to do with your hands. I just knit, look around and smile. It's a great conversation starter too. One day, while waiting at the tire store to get a tire fixed, I just "happened" to have my knitting along. I talked to two or three people (I don't remember exactly - it's been a while.) One man commented that I must have been knitting for a while, because I didn't have to look at what I was doing most of the time. Most people know someone else that either knits or crochets.

So do I have time to knit? Of course! There is always time for knitting! Do I have the patience for it? Well... why else would I attempt to knit two whole socks out of "thread" and tiny needles? :)

This is the start on the pair of socks I'm knitting from the yarn I talked about at the end of this post.
For more identifiable knitting characteristics and for further proof of my committed "knitterhood" see this post.

Anyone can learn to knit...
all it takes is a little patience!
I couldn't resist including this picture! :)

7 comments:

  1. i love knitting too! i only know how to do one basic knit though, lol. so i can makes scarfs or lap blankets, but it takes me forever to do a blanket, a few months because i am doing it the hard way! i wish i had someone to teach me more methods but i haven't found someone around here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to find another knitter! :) Most, if not all of what I have learned, I learned from Knittinghelp.com. She has posted some great video tutorials! (You'll find a link on the right sidebar of my blog.) Usually if I get stuck, there is a video to help there, or someone in one of my Ravelry groups will be able to help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Charity! Those socks are going to be SO beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! They are challenging, but fun. I do love the color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get a lot of similar comments from other people about my different hobbies, too (particularly scrapbooking). Even though most people mean well, it sometimes frustrates me because it makes it sound like I sit around and do nothing but "fun stuff" all day long - which is far from the truth! You made an excellent point in saying that it's something you make time for, using every spare moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your knitting! I am a dedicated knitter. It goes where I go usually. lol! And, yes, you get lots of looks and comments.
    Look forward to seeing more projects. Love pictures of socks and shawls and things that are knitted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I don't knit quite as much as I used to, but I usually have a project on hand whether I pull it out or not. Thank you!!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!