(Hallelujah!)
Thanks for all the well wishes for our sale. So how did it go?
It did go well. We sold a lot of
(hmmm... I have a feeling you are waiting for the "but..."!)
You'd be right. We didn't make a huge amount of money. It averaged about five dollars earned per person for today's time. (That doesn't include prep this past week!) I think some bigger ticket items are necessary for really earning money. Also people don't really shop garage sales for antiques, they just want deals. I totally understand - that's the way I shop sales too! :) So some pieces of furniture would have helped.
And watch people. ugg. Someone switched tags on a (new) pair of shoes. I know because the sticker wasn't the color I used - so I didn't just missprice it. Yep, I'm just a tad upset. It wasn't like I asked that much to begin with. Anyway... her word against mine. I let her have them. Then she tried to get me to lower my price on a couple of candles. Nope. I told her it was too early. We had just opened. But that was the worst, and it could have been much worse - like some of these stories.
I did find some helpful tips before the sale. The Nesting Place has a great post on hosting and shopping yard sales. Another site has Do's and don'ts of signs, and other great tips. Like making sure to post this:
I did get a few neat things shopping my parents stuff. Like this frame:

I have great plans for it. Isn't it pretty?
We had some great customers, and we enjoyed visiting with them. I like meeting people and working with the public. However. For me, I don't think I'll have another. It just wasn't worth the time and effort for the money. But we did get rid of a lot and got paid for it. The rest, we shipped off to Goodwill.
And it's over. WHEW! :) Now we can crash.
I hope everyone else had a great Saturday as well!
I have great plans for it. Isn't it pretty?
We had some great customers, and we enjoyed visiting with them. I like meeting people and working with the public. However. For me, I don't think I'll have another. It just wasn't worth the time and effort for the money. But we did get rid of a lot and got paid for it. The rest, we shipped off to Goodwill.
And it's over. WHEW! :) Now we can crash.
I hope everyone else had a great Saturday as well!
Glad you survived your sale! We had one last summer and decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble - I could make way more listing things on ebay and craigslist, without the work and the mess! But it was a great way to meet all of our new neighbors.
ReplyDeleteThe frame is beautiful - can't wait to see what you do with it!