To me, decorating is a process. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't feel my home is "decorated." Anyway, what would be the fun in having a home that is entirely decorated? Where do you go from there? I guess you re-decorate, but I don't do that often. When I find something I like, I stick with it for a long while... with modifications, of course!
Take my living room. Before we moved in, it looked like this:

BLEH.
The paint itself was a great improvement, though:
I was so happy to get a mantle (translation: shelf).

Yes, definitely an improvement, but still...
The shelves underneath help to ground it. And the curtain helps the room feel homier too, although I realize it needs to be a bit fuller, and ideally lower, but as you can see, I don't really have that option. (wow what a run-on... good thing I only minored in English...) And all the major components and some smaller ones are the same as when we first moved in. It is a very small living room, and I don't rearrange furniture. It works the way it is, and I can't picture it working any other way... (and I love to rearrange furniture in my mind - even for other people's houses. I'm a little strange that way...) :)
So basically, I get stuck in a rut. And as long as I like the rut, I'm happy. But I haven't really been liking our master bath rut for a little while. The "theme" was something I picked a long time ago, I think because I thought it would fit with the style of my home.
Exhibit A: The clock.
The main problem with the clock is it is loud. The secondary problem is although it is a pretty clock, I am getting a little tired of palm trees. They aren't really me, at least not anymore. So bye-bye clock.
Instead, I came up with this:
Which Mark and I are liking much better. The shelf was a bright yellow garage sale find, and I got on a spray painting binge
Oh, and NO the shelf isn't decorated yet. (but the frog is pretty proud to be there, isn't he?) And Yes, I realize that is a palm tree shade. It was the only one I could find that didn't clash too badly. It will go as soon as I find what I want there. Hopefully soon.
I think this is my mantra when it comes to decorating:
“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” ~Greg Anderson
Hehe...we've been known to remove batteries from noisy clocks while staying in guest rooms away from home :)Shhh - don't tell the hostesses! :)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I LOVE the 2 little signs in the bathroom! The shelf turned out cute too, but my 2 cents worth is go with your first idea and put a light coat of cream and shabby it up - you'll be amazed what a little texture and depth will do :) As for the shade, it would be fairly simple to recover (maybe fabric with a bird motif like the lower sign?), or even spray paint it. I love how your living room is "evolving" :) I'm in the process of painting MUCH paneling...ICK! Takes forever, but wow, what a difference! And, no, I never feel like my house is completely decorated - there's always a little more I plan to do. I never quite reach the goal :)But like you say, that's the fun isn't it?!
I enjoyed seeing your pictures. :-) I love your "mantle". It makes the fireplace more of a focal point.
ReplyDeleteI like the signs you found for your bathroom! I love the saying on the top one!
I love the new wall pictures. I have seen these at Hobby Lobby and debated on buying them for somewhere in our home. I enjoy your blog.
ReplyDeleteHi Charity,you have done a fine job decorating your home. It is very lovely and so cosy .....hope you are having a blessed week...
ReplyDeleteI love it all. The change in the bathroom is dramatic - very nice!
ReplyDelete