Intentional Parenting... wow. where do I start? This book has soo much good in it. A friend (mother of a one year old) asked me recently if it was too early to read a book I recommended. I told her I had already read it and I don't even have a daughter yet! So is it too early for me to read parenting books? Well... I look at it this way, the more I read now, the more I will have in "reserve" for when I need it. And I'll have more resources that I already know about that I can pull from when the time comes! :)
This book had me at "Intentional." That's been a word that has meant a lot to me. I want to live intentionally, especially when it comes to parenting. I want to be intentional - maybe a good word would be proactive - to learn what I need to learn and be the best I can be. I don't underline much in books, but this book really asked for it - so many good things I wanted to remember! The purpose of the book is to help parents become more proactive - and not to parent out of fear.
The authors are part of a a counseling program for parents and kids and have counseled many families which gives them a broad perspective on many families. They talk about being a consistent, patient parent. About giving kids a chance to "try again." I like that idea - it reinforces good behavior. (And goes along with what I have been learning from this DVD series that I have been watching.) I loved what this quote: "Discipline should never be about harming or shaming our children." They enforce that discipline should be done out of love and not out of anger. It seems that I observe so often parents responding to their children out of frustration (And I know, what room have I to talk when I don't have kids yet) but many times what I have observed seems so extreme. I don't think the parents realize that they are doing more harm then good when they humiliate their children. (ok... off the soapbox now...) ;)
Well, I could go on and on! I have more than just one quote underlined!! I love how they talk about the importance of playing with your children, but also balancing that play with the fact that the parent is to be the parent and not primarily just a "buddy." Intentional Parenting is an excellent resource to add to your parenting library! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks to Book Sneeze for providing a copy for me to review - my opinions are my own.

0 Friendly Greetings:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!