Friday, April 12, 2013

Finished Object Friday: It's in the Jar!

Hmm... I'm thinking that I should rename this "Finished Object Weekend!" Or maybe work a little earlier in the week to get posts set to publish... Thursdays are always busy for me, and by the time I get sat down, I don't always feel like writing. BUT... It is still Friday, so I'll share! ;)

WAY back in August I made a little something that I planned to share. However, I wanted to be sure that my little project would work out ok before I shared it with you. Good thing that I did! But you'll find out about that in just a minute. I made one of these:

I'm sure you've seen them around quite a bit. They are nothing new in the blogging/Pinterest worlds. :) I snagged a jar out of my mom's cabinet and used a pump we didn't need from a new bottle of hand sanitizer, so the project cost me basically just a bit of time.


Oh, and I made it to give my mom, so she did get her jar back! ;) The trick for me was drilling the hole. I ended up making a bunch of little holes with my little hand drill. Really there has got to be a better way to do it, but I'm sure it requires differnt tools than I had on hand. Here's what I ended up with - with the addition of some hot glue to try to seal it. (and that's where the time comes in...)


Nope. It didn't work so well... the lid ended up rusting from the water that got trapped under the pump and the glue fell off inside. Yuck. So a few weeks ago, I brought it home for a repair job - I just used some silicone calk we had on hand and sealed it up really good - both sides of the lid, and I even sealed it a bit where the ring meets the lid. And, I'm glad to say, even though I didn't get a new lid, it seems to be holding up really well! So the trick is to calk it - no hot glue. Live and learn. :)
Glad it works now! I think it's pretty with the blue dishsoap - my mom's favorite color! ;) Has anyone else made one of these? Maybe you did better than I did the first time around! I'd love to hear what you did! And I'd love to see any other projects you've been working on!

9 comments:

  1. Cute! Glad you figured out a way to make it work. What would we do without Pinterest? Oh wait, I spent 27 years of my life without Pinterest...how did I ever survive?! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I'm not sure myself... that site sure is addicting! :)

      Delete
  2. Cute, I know your Mom liked it. I have been working on some stuff but alas nothing is finished YET. Finished object weekend is a great idea by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, those big projects take a while. Maybe someday my FOF will be a house SOLD! It seems that is what I spend most of my time on - making sure it is always ready in case we get a call! :)

      Maybe I SHOULD change the name, that way people would know they have plenty of time to share! :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry I'm late, but Finished Object Weekend sounds good to me. And I like your project! What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I'm the latest one... not even getting anything up until late on Friday! (And I don't have your excuse!! ...wish I did... I'm ready to sell our house!) ;)

      Delete
  4. Maybe I'll give it a try. It is very pretty with the blue dishwashing liquid in it. Our sale is on the 27th ,just incase you didn't know ;) Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I WAS wondering - figured it was coming up really soon! How do you find out? It seems I'm usually wondering until the last minute. :) I'm ready for it though! Maybe we'll see you there... if not before!

      Delete
  5. I love these! Mine was an easy project - I just asked hubby to make me one! LOL! He used a very manly power tool to drill a big hole. Our problem was that we were using an old zinc lid and NOTHING would stick to it, to seal it. So it's kind loose and floppy, but it still works just fine :) I love using the blue soap, too!

    Hmmm...so it's Monday already and I'm just now posting. Maybe we'd be safer with Finished Object Week?! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!