Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chari Tree Chat

My week is off to a good start. Monday morning I got up early - well, early for me! and went blueberry picking with Mom and Angie. We got there early enough that it wasn't too hot. It hasn't been the best year for berries down here, but we did find some good bushes and got some picked. I enjoyed a smoothie yesterday - blueberry and peach. I'll probably have another one today. :)

Speaking of cooking, I feel like my basic menu list is a little short. Now that I have more time, I am going to be looking for recipes and try a new one each week. When I decide on a recipe before hand, I can get what I need on my weekly shopping trip. (How many times have I looked at a recipe and not had a necessary ingredient to try it!) Last night's trial was a success!

I made Creamy Bow-Ties with Broccolini and Ham. (Whatever broccolini is - I just used fresh broccoli - and the cooking time for it was perfect - tender crisp!) I would probably add a little more flavor next time, but Mark loved it - so it was a success! :) ( He's a pasta/bread kind of guy - maybe there's some Italian blood in there - it sure runs in the family!) :)

I have a running list of my go-to recipes on my computer, and when I feel that it's "finished," I will post it on the inside of my pantry door. My goal is to keep the ingredients on hand for several of our favorites. We also eat leftovers a lot, so I only cook about three times a week! (We usually have pizza on Fridays, anyway. Hmm... maybe we should try for something healthier.) Do you do anything like this? I know some do menu plans, but when it comes to that day, I usually feel like making something different! :) And when I don't feel like cooking, that is usually when I pull out my recipe books and try something new. Funny me! How do you chose what to cook?

3 comments:

  1. I keep a (very long) running list of bookmarks of things I come across online. I like to try new things all the time, which means that my collection of recipes that we like is huge!

    Before I go shopping, I write down the things I'd like to make, then make my list at the same time to see that I have all the ingredients. I try not to attach meals to certain days so I can make easy things on hard days and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! But sadly, my hubs is NOT a pasta fan. I keep a list of meal ideas in my recipe box, and I TRY to make a list of menus for the week, but I don't assign any one meal to any particular day. Because, like you, I might feel like having somethin else on that day! My problem is that I get so bored with the things my family likes. (read - they're all VERY picky) It kinda makes me dread cooking all together. I mean, there's not many ways to make pizza and chicken fingers. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. Makes my mouth water and my tummy desire!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!