Monday, October 19, 2009

The Well-Behaved Child


If you are like me, you have probably noticed many children who are out of control. Example: the wailing child in the grocery store! I’ve wondered myself what are the best ways to prevent such outbursts. I recently finished reading The Well-behaved Child by John Rosemond. In the book, Mr. Rosemond outlines Biblical basics for effective discipline and gives several methods of discipline. He begins by establishing what effective discipline is and why it works. He helps parents understand why children misbehave and how they, as parents, can prevent common misbehaviors. The middle part of the book gives several common misbehaviors and specific methods of dealing with them. In the last chapter, Mr. Rosemond describes several ways to have a strong family life that results in better behaved children.

I really enjoyed reading Mr. Rosemond’s book. His timely words of advice are well seasoned with humor. His methods of discipline are reminiscent of older times. His principles of discipline just make sense. Examples: Using what he calls Alpha speech – being brief and to the point when giving commands; the parent as the leader and expecting obedience; and the agony principle – forcing the child to suffer for his decisions, instead of parents agonizing for him. His approach may seem rather strong at first, but I think often parents are too fearful of damaging their children’s egos. There is just so much good in this book, I can’t stuff it all into one short review. I encourage you to read it for yourself!


This review is done for the Thomas Nelson Book review blogger program. I am really excited about doing this. The only thing I get in exchange for the review is the book.

3 comments:

  1. going to have to get this book. I enjoy learning new tricks to the trade. Such an important job with eternal consequences and no second chances!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered how to prevent tantrums, etc...but my kids are 6 and 3, and I've never had to face that! Not sure if we're just lucky, or if we're doing something right, but they've never created a scene in public. (...big sigh of relief...) I think it has something to do with letting them know who's the parent and who's the child from the start. I think they always knew they wouldn't get away with it :) Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to read that one even tho mine are now grown ups. I still deal with kids at church on a weekly basis. One of the best books I ever read on raising children is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. Very biblical concepts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!