This past August I decided to plant some pumpkin seeds. They sprouted nicely, you may remember, next to the cantaloupe. I didn't have to worry about punkaloupes, because neither of them bore much fruit. ( I did get a couple of tiny cantaloupe, but the vines died...)
A couple of weeks ago, while doing my grocery shopping, I got an idea. I bought a couple of smallish (baking) pumpkins, and when I got home quietly "planted" them among my pumpkin vines.
... and waited the next day until Mark went outside to mow the lawn. I ran to the side window and watched. He walked over to the pumpkins and looked, and looked, then bent down and lifted the pumpkin to look at the stem. Then grinned real big, and lifted the other pumpkin. He then turned to see me peeking out the window. :) We both had a jolly laugh over it, and had a few giggles since then. :)
Then the pumpkins went on to decorate my front porch.
...during which time, the pumpkin above mysteriously walked over to decorate my bird bath. (I think a few of the little munchkins that ride scooters around the neighborhood had a little to do with that!)
One of the other (more practical) reasons I bought those pumpkins, as well as planting the seeds, was to try my hand at making my own pumpkin puree. Pioneer Woman posted a tutorial last fall and as canned pumpkin seems to be a little scarce this year, I decided to try it.
All that scraping is hard work! I did get my puree finally...
(sorry for the blurry picture)
However, might I recommend canned pumpkin while it is to be had... It is nice to know that I can puree a pumpkin if need be, but it's also nice when it is in a can! :)
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pumpkin pie in the oven...
Really! See?

Hi Chari...
ReplyDeleteOhhh...that is just too cute, my friend! I would have loved to see the look on your honey's face when he picked up the pumpkin out of the vines!!! What fun!!!
I have made pumpkin puree a few times...not difficult but the cans are so much more convenient! Mmmm...your pumpkin pie looks delicious!!!
Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design
Thanks for the laugh! I would have loved to have seen Marks face. I'll be right over for a piece of pie. Maybe I will make one tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteYou're too funny! That pie looks so good! So does it taste better using home made puree, as opposed to the canned?
ReplyDeleteThe pie looks delicious!!! I'll be down for a warm slice...Yum!
ReplyDeleteThat was a sneaky idea you had.
ReplyDeleteYour pie shell looks perfect. I need some lessons on that.
I would love to have each of you over for pie and coffee/tea/hot chocolate!! :) What a wonderful visit!
ReplyDeleteBrittany - the pie tasted good to me. I did need to add some canned to give enough pumpkin. However, one of the problems I had was getting the puree smooth, so my pie is a little stringy. :)
Jennifer - my recipe for the "perfect" pie shell... Go to store. buy frozen pie shell. insert yummy filling. :) (I know... I cheated a bit. But I need more pie crust lessons from my grandma!)
I bought a pumpkin to puree after reading PW's blog too. However, it looked so cute decorating my little kitchen space that I never made it into puree or a pie. =S Your pie looks so absolutely delicious. Great job!
ReplyDelete