Thursday, March 25, 2010

A new hobby?

"When you use handspun fibers, you're no longer just a knitter.
You're a fiber artist."
~Patti the Garden Girl~

If you've read my blog for more than a couple of days, you probably know I love knitting. Although I don't always make time to knit, I love looking at projects on Ravelry and admiring "yummy" yarn. :) If you've read my blog for a while, you may remember my first spinning lesson. I still have that first skein.

However, what I am about to share is a dream come true for me. This is something that I never dreamed would be a reality... I now am the proud owner of a spinning wheel!! Actually two spinning wheels (one is held in trust for my sister in law.) :) (Eta: Should she decide she wants to learn... not sure on that.) :)

Mark's grandmother has a friend that used to own a yarn shop. This friend is in poor health and gave Mimi two spinning wheels, which Mimi in turn passed on to me.

They are both great wheels, and I am so excited to learn to use them. My head is chock full of words like drafting, twist, tension, spools, treadle... However not only was I given the wheels, but also several drop spindles (which perform the same task and are also a bit more portable - you saw this one in the last post.)...

Several books...

and magazines...

As well as some wonderful roving!
(I'm not sure what "Sugar Ray" is, but boy, is it soft!!!)
Wow! Wonder what I can make with that? (Eta: Not much. This roving was felted so I couldn't spin it. Oh. well.) :)

You know, sometimes it seems like we pray and pray for something, and we may feel that God just doesn't hear us. Then He drops something totally unexpected, and un-thought of into our laps. Just like He's saying, "See, dear one, I'm listening. What you are asking me for isn't right just now, but here is something just to show how much I do love you." That's how I feel about this gift - what a boost to faith!

So to Mimi and her friend, I really don't know how to thank you. Words aren't always adequate. But, thank you so very much!! This is such an awesome gift! What a wonderful way that God has blessed me through you!

To all the rest of you - I hope you will enjoy as I share bits of my spinning journey with you!

Here is a short video that gives an overview on how one of my spinning wheels works.

4 comments:

  1. God is good and always right on time...have fun with your spinning wheel...can't wait to see some projects from the yarn you spin....bless you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good all the time. Cool video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's Christmas all over again! You've received a treasure. I have a friend who raises llamas would would love to have such a setup. Thanks for the video, too. You will have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't God good?! What treasures for a knitter!! Neat video, I'm not sure that I've ever seen one in action :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!