Friday, March 4, 2011

Finished Object Friday

Happy Friday everyone! I'm glad it's Friday, how about you? This is a special Friday for me (and my family) because my Grandma got in from Idaho last night!! We gals have a fun day planned! :) But as for here, let's share some of our projects!

I finished the "object" back in December, but I wanted to give it a while for a "test run" before I shared! :)


Laundry soap!! I've heard of several different recipes for making laundry soap. This recipe appealed to me because it is dry, just stir together and it's ready to use! :)  (Thanks for sharing, Shelley!)


2 bars fels Naptha or Zote
1- 4 lb box Borox
1- 4 lb. box Arm & Hammer wash soda
4 lbs. Baking Soda
grate soap: add all ingredients together,
mix well in large container.
(I added some Oxyclean as well... about a cup.)
use 2-3 tbl. per load
 
Here is the bar soap after I got it grated... fun, huh? :)  
I used Mom's big hand crank grater - it sure helped! :)  

So what's my opinion after using it a couple of months? I really like it! It's cheap - although I didn't keep a tally of the costs - I'll try to do that next time I make it. I did discover, when washing on the cold cycle, that there was a white residue on my clothes before they went in the dryer. I now start the load with hot water to dissolve the powder, and I haven't seen it since. My clothes smell great, and I don't have any complaint about cleanliness. And besides, it's prettier than regular soap! My next thing is to find a pretty jar to store it in my laundry room. I did find a fun scoop as you can see in the top picture. :)


So have you be up to anything "crafty" recently? I can't wait to see all of your projects!

6 comments:

  1. It looks pretty! :-) Glad it's working well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I think I will try and make some, laundry soap is so expensive. Check out my fof for Piper. Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to try this! Where do you get all the ingredients? Our Wal Mart doesn't have the bars or the Borox. Or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place?! I sure wouldn't mind saving some money on laundry soap! Besides, it'd be kinda pretty in the laundry room in a big glass jar with a cute scoop like yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm... it took a bit of looking, but I did find the bars at our Walmart, I also got a large box of baking soda there. The Borax was actually a freebie (originally from Target, I believe.) However, the WASHING soda, I had a harder time finding - ended up getting it at our grocery store. Sometimes the grocery stores will surprise you! :) You might try looking there for the other ingredients as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make my own laundry detergent, too, but I got out of the habit. I wonder how it would work in a front loader. You've got to be careful with those, you know. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried the liquid homemade soap, but wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I should try 'your' recipe - it does look awful pretty too! Cute scoop :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!