
Have you ever heard of Apollos Rivoire? I hadn't until I read this book. Apollos Rivoire is the father of Paul Revere. In 1715, at the age of 13, Apollos was put on a boat to escape the persecution of the Huguenots in France. After arriving in America and learning English and the silversmith trade, he changed his name to Paul Revere, a name he later passed on to his son. The son is the one who is so famous for his Revolutionary ride. However, this ride wasn't Paul's only effort for the Revolution and for America. In his book, The Revolutionary Paul Revere, Joel J. Miller gives us a good description of the life that Paul lived for his God, his family and his country. That night ride wasn't the only one that Paul took, he made several journeys delivering letters for the cause. Not only did he serve as a delivery man, but he also was one of the lead "Indians" at the Boston Tea Party. He constructed a powder mill to provide gunpowder for the war effort as well as commanded the fortifications at Castle Island. Quite the busy revolutionary! After the revolution, Revere continued to be quite the visionary. He was a success in many different efforts - even supplying copper sheeting to a young inventor named Robert Fulton.
I enjoyed reading about Paul Revere. It was interesting to read more about this time in history. I liked the size of the book - not a huge tome and not too intimidating to read. The book is also a lot more "reader friendly" than many historical books. It was well researched; I was interested to see the notes telling what books the author used for his research. I did, however, find the author's sometimes frequent use of metaphors and similes a little distracting - such as "After repeal of the Stamp Act, Parliament was up Debt creek without a farthing." (page 96) and "Like seeds cast down in bloody soil, the dead sprang up as thorny brambles all throughout town." (page 112) ummm. Okay. But all in all, an excellent read. Would I recommend it? Certainly! It has enough depth to interest a more in-depth history "person" - like me! but it is not so academic to intimidate a more casual reader. Thumbs up!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Great review! Thanks!
ReplyDelete