I hope you all have had a great week! Mine has been busy, but good. We had a fun St. Patrick's Day! I hope you didn't forget to wear green! :)
Well, it's time for Finished Object Friday once again... and I seem to be stuck on laundry! Dryer balls seem to be quite the popular item! So I decided to make some:
I had a few reasons for making them - 1. They are fun to make, and easy... as you know, I love felting! 2. I have roving that needs to be used - it has already started to felt, so it's useless to try to spin it. 3. I think dryer balls are a neat idea, and I hope they save money and help things dry faster! Here's the process I went through:
1. The already semi-felted roving.
2.Winding it into a ball.
3. Tied off in hosiery to throw into the machine.
4. First layer felted, second layer of roving added.
So there is my little finished object! So with all these helpful laundry things I have made, you'd think I'd find something to help me get it all folded! :)
So what have you been up to this week? If you are new to FOF, check out the intro post here. Happy linking!! :)

Your dryer balls look like fun, and it looks like a great way to use up some supplies. How do they work?
ReplyDeleteYour finished dryer balls look so pretty! :-) I have thought about making some for myself, just never got around to it!
ReplyDeleteThank you both!
ReplyDeleteNikki - basically dryer balls help "fluff" the laundry while it's drying and help the hot air to circulate. They also help soften the clothes. I haven't used them much yet, but I think they should be especially helpful with towels.
Well, that makes sense!
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteNot sure if you'll remember me or not, but I was at GBS during the same time you were! I found your blog through a friends blog quite awhile ago, and have been following you ever since! :)
Within the past year or so, I've been introduced to knitting, and it has quickly become a very welcome destressor in my life!
I love to knit baby items and scarves, but I'd love, love, love to learn to knit socks! However, double pointed needles scare the beejeezers out of me! Any pointers you can give, or any great books or websites you may have used to get going on knitting socks?
Thanks!
Betty Jo Cochran
Betty,
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear from you! I do remember you!! :) I'm glad you found me and so excited to find another knitter! Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!!
Socks are fun and there are so many pretty patterns out there! Don't let the DPNs (double pointed needles) scare you too much. I was a little frightened of them at first, but they really aren't all that bad. You might try knitting something simple with DPNs first to get the hang of them. (like maybe these: http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/cosy_knitted_handwrist_warmers.php)
It does help to get comfortable with the needles before starting something else.
There is a wonderful Sock "class" with great pictures that really helped me understand:http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/
And I also use Knittinghelp.com quite a bit - she has a great video to help you see how to turn the heel.
I also encourage you to sign up for Ravelry - it's a great knitters resource. There are soo many free patterns to be found online, and Ravelry really makes searching simple. And there are forums for newer knitters with people to answer your questions. You can find me over there - just look for "Charitree" in the people search.
I hope this helps! I'm excited for you - you'll have to keep me updated on your socks! :)
Hi Charity!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you remember me! :) Thanks for all the help! I do know about
Ravelry (and I'm a member) and I use knittinghelp.com A LOT! I'm going to try your suggestion for the starter project. The friend who taught me to knit says I do a great job and that I just need to be more confident in my knitting abilities! Guess I'm going to have to start listening to her! Ha-Ha!
I'll be keeping in touch!
Betty Jo