![]() |
| Source |
One of the focuses in our training has been to use "Positive Adoption Language." Positive language uses terms such as "Birthparent" or "Biological Parent" instead of "Real Parent" or "Natural Parent." Saying a child "was adopted" is much more positive than defining that child as an adopted child. Our child will be our child - adoption was just the way they came to be in our family. Instead of saying that the birthmother decided not to "keep" a child, the birthmother has "chosen an adoption plan for her child" or "chosen not to parent." (Personally, I think each birthmother does keep her child - through the love for him in her heart.)
Many well meaning people may ask, without realizing it, something that comes across very hurtful. Such as: "Why didn't their real parents keep them?" This is one that first comes to mind. First of all, it's not a question that needs to be asked, no matter how you phrase it. An adopted child's story is just that - his story. We as a family may choose to share certain bits of information based on our circumstances, but many of the particulars aren't something that will be made public.
As a potential adoptive parent, one of the most frustrating statements for me is "Now that you're adopting, you'll get pregnant." Because everyone knows someone who knows someone... Ouch. Well, it doesn't always happen that way. If you've said this to me, no I'm not mad at you. You certainly haven't been the only one. :) It's just one of those statements people don't really thing about. It's kind of like asking a couple dealing with infertility when they are going to start having kids. (Yep. Got that one too...) :)
I certainly can't cover every potentially hurtful thing that some well meaning person might say to me or my child. And I'm certainly not super thin skinned to take offense any time something like this comes up. I hope to train my own children to understand that uninformed remarks, aren't necessarily intended to be painful.
Thank you for taking time to read my posts on adoption. I have enjoyed hearing from many of you! If you are interested in reading more about this topic there are a couple of online articles I recommend: Adoption: What Helps and What Doesn't, and the last page of this adoption guide from Bethany Christian Services (pdf file). And please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! I will try to reply as quickly as I can, and with your permission, will use those for my last posts in this series.

Now that you're adopting you'll...Just Kidding!!! I had to be a smartelic (sp). :)
ReplyDeleteI've had some people say some crazy things to me before and I wasn't even thinking about adopting. Got my ear full of where they stand. Good grief, people need to think before speaking!! You will be a wonderful mother and your child/ren will be blessed!
(Now to read over this to make sure I didn't say something wrong! LOL!!!)
Heehee! You crack me up! ;) Thanks for the encouragement! :)
ReplyDeleteIts always best to think before we speak...but,I am sure I have been guilty of saying the wrong thing at some time or another. It is very important what words we use with any children...words can be so hurtful especially to the very young. This post has a lot of wisdom in it...thanks for sharing. I am sure you know what the bible speaks of about the tongue...it can be such a deadly thing if we don't control it..You are going to be a wonderfully wise and loving mother to some little one....blessings
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm good about putting my foot in my mouth sometimes... Sometimes things just pop out! It's always something to work on! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking time to read!!
This was a good informative post.
ReplyDeleteI think my cousin may have used Bethany Christian services with one if not all 3 of their children that they chose. =)
Praying for y'all!
~Heather~
I'm enjoying your posts on the topic of adoption...my family adopted my brother and so I'm familiar with the wonderful-ness, but its neat to hear from your perspective. And I love the sound of the classes - I would love to go to them too!
ReplyDeleteI for one am enjoying your adoption posts a whole lot. I love your insight and positive thoughts. You are doing great! Prayers your way!
ReplyDeleteI've enjoyed reading this series, too. I hope to adopt one day, not because we aren't able to have our own children (obviously, we are!), but because there are so many children out there who need good homes. It's been informative to see what all is involved.
ReplyDeleteAnd I've learned how insensitive people can be, not personally, but after my sister's miscarriage: "You can always have more." And I have a friend with six, almost seven children, "Don't you know how that happens?" Don't people think before they speak? Obviously, not.
As an adoptive mother, I have gotten all of those statements and then some. People mean well but they sure do need to think first! I know I have a big problem with open-mouth-insert-foot "disease" and it is a learning process so I try to keep that in mind when a well-meaning person gives me their 'advice'. :)
ReplyDeleteDamara