Monday, June 9, 2008

Goodbye


1994-2008


We had to have our dear doggy put to sleep yesterday. It is so hard to describe the pain that all of us feel right now. He was fourteen years old and the sweetest little boy you can imagine. He wasn't hyper like some small dogs, but very laid back and very loving. He loved "treats," didn't like baths but loved the cuddling that came after them.

Part of the pain comes from the fact that he was my grandfather's dog (my Dad's father). My grandfather owned both of Scamp's parents and we got Scamp from him when Scamp was seven months old. Not only have we lost a part of our family, but losing Scamp is like loosing Grandpa all over again.

This post is the hardest that I have ever written. Some of my readers remember Scamp and what a sweet boy he is. This is the best way, I think, to let you know about our loss. When we took him in to the emergency care center yesterday, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and his lungs had fluid in them. He was having a hard time breathing, but he enjoyed his last car ride, he loved to "Go." It was good to know that his problem wasn't for lack of care, just that he was so old. I think he lived so long because he was so loved. He was healthy and perky, very active for the most part, until the last. He is now buried under a pine tree in Dad and Mom's back yard, next to the former owners' beloved kitty.

Thank you all for understanding. Sorry to start your week on a sad note here, but I felt I needed to share. Please pray for our family as we process and try to get on with life. The picture above was taken a couple of months ago when he stayed with Mark and I while Mom, Dad and Angie were out of town. He is keeping his eye on me while I was sitting at the computer. He lived with my parents and Angie, and Angie and I shared the care. She did most of the caring for him since Mark and I were married. This is really hard on her because he was her constant companion. The important thing was that he knew he was loved and cared for and someone was with him almost every moment when he was really sick. He didn't suffer long, for which we were thankful and the Lord chose to take him on a day when the family could all be together.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your dog. It hurts so much to lose a pet who has been your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about lossing Scamp. He was a very good dog. I will be remembering you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your Scamp. He was a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...Chari, I am so sorry! I've never had to actually put a pet to sleep, but I have had to give away quite a few pets, and I know that it really hurts. Who knows? Maybe someday you really will see Scamp in Heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just now reading this, I am so sorry! I know it hurts terrible to lose a family pet. =(

    My husband had a chihuahua, and his chihuahua was also diagnosed with congestive heart failure/fluid in the lungs. He decided to try everything he could rather than let her go. And he regreted it because it only prolonged her suffering. 14 years is a long life, Scamp had a good life. As time passes, the memories will make you smile more rather than cry.

    I know I am a week late, but I will be praying for you and your family.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your condolences. It has become easier as time goes on. We still miss him very much, but are so thankful for the time the Lord allowed us to have with him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!