Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Once Upon a Time...

there were four little Rabbits, and their names were - Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter...

Today is Beatrix Potter's 143rd birthday. I have grown to love her work more and more as I get older. I wrote the following post about a year ago and wanted to share it again in honor of her birthday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many children have grown up with the adventures of Peter and friends. He has become a household name since his popularity with the first published book in 1901. Gracie, my "adopted niece," really enjoyed Peter for a while, and still does. I think she was always a little afraid of "Mr. Gregor." :) I have collected a few various items relating to Peter and Beatrix Potter.


The dress and the book at the far left were mine as a little girl.


I love this set of books. They are just the right size! They are also very similar in size and setup to those that were originally published by F. Warne & Co. in the early 1900's.


I found these two Peter's at a garage sale and couldn't resist them! :)


I love the movie Miss Potter. I don't own it (yet) but I did find this book at a discount book store. It has a lot of interesting facts about Beatrix's life as well as about the movie. Update: I did get Miss Potter as a gift... Thanks, Angie! :) It is definitely one of my favorites.


Renee Zellweger as Beatrix Potter
(Image Source)
Speaking of the movie, I highly recommend it! I have enjoyed it multiple times. It is very beautifully filmed and is mostly accurate. I think it is very true to the person of Beatrix Potter and how her personality might have been.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have recently made new additions to my Beatrix Potter collection. My sister-in-law found a hardbound book of complete works. (I think she's wishing she would have bought it herself.) :)

I have enjoyed reading the stories.
One of my favorites is Miss Tiggy Winkle.


I also found these plaques.


Happy birthday to Miss Potter... and happy 31st anniversary to my parents! :)

PS~ There will not be Finished Object Friday this week, although this is the week for it. :) I am going to postpone it to next week. Happy Crafting, everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. I love Beatrix Potter's books, especially the artwork! I rented the movie when it came out, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just saw that movie for the first time while i was in Texas. it was cute. of course i didn't like the ending. i guess i wanted more, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chari, you know what is weird, Breanna was hollering to me for help so i came upstairs and she was carrying around her Peter Rabbit stuffed bunny (which she never does, she is usually carrying Buzz Lightyear) anyway, then while I was still in my room with her I decided to get on my laptop and look at your blog and guess what it was about, that same bunny. Too funny. I need to read the books to her, I wonder if they have them at our library?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!