Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Journey to Knitterhood: Part 2

"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken."
~Frank Herbert~

I love learning new things, knitting has become a series of new adventures for me. (Ok, some of you are laughing at knitting being adventurous ... I can hear you! It's ok. I don't have to do crazy things to get my "thrills." I'm ok with that!) :) I am still learning much about knitting. The great thing about knitting is that you can know just a little and still make beautiful things. (If you haven't read part one, you may want to before reading this.)


My next big step in learning to knit was circular knitting. I bought some 16 in. size 6 circulars and made a hat, then two then three...



For you beginners, circular knitting is like knitting a spiral up. As you knit it makes stockinette stitch, if you were knitting flat you would have to knit one row of knit the next of purl. Stockinette stitch naturally curls, which made the cute little rolled brim naturally. I then finished the hats with a three needle bind off which binds off and sews the top at the same time. I now use my circulars most of the time - even in straight knitting.


I still wasn't quite ready to head into the strange world of purling, so building on my knowledge of circulars, I started one of many purses. The basic construction of the purse is to knit a rectangle, then pickup stitches all the way around and knit with circulars until it is as tall as you want. I based my purse (loosely) on this pattern. I also learned a new technique - making I-cord. It still isn't my favorite technique, maybe that's why I invested in this little contraption! :) That purse led to a few more.

I'm not sure at what particular point I decided to learn purling. I know I picked a pattern with lots of purls and just kept at it. One motivating factor was my desire to knit socks (my resolution for 2008). I did learn to knit socks, thanks to a great tutorial, and knit six pairs that year!

That's how I learned the basic building blocks for knitting. I've made lots of different things since then: fingerless gloves, pumpkins, cherries, bonnets, and slippers, as well as designing a little dress. :) I get inspired just looking around on Ravelry! After a frightening bout of SSS (second sock syndrome) I have finally started the next purple sock, you know - the mate to the "well traveled" sock. Most of these projects have just built on what I knew, plus adding a little more "know how."

Well, that brings us up to date on my knitting journey. Most of you have been along for the ride anyway, so this has been a synopsis. Thanks for coming along with me!

***Now we will return to our regularly scheduled programing... whatever THAT is!*** :)

0 Friendly Greetings:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!