Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm Stuck

In my knitting journey, I've come across some bumps in the road. Usually I am able to work through them or drive over them.

Not this time.

I'm stuck. stymied. spinning my wheels.

and it looks like such a pretty piece of knitting...

I am trying to knit a shawl for my Grandmother for Christmas. I was going along pretty good until I started watching the pattern - paying attention to what stitches are on top of each other. Hoping that I could memorize the two repeating lines of the pattern and get some speed going. (and also be able to knit without paying the utmost strict attention.)

However, evidently "strict attention" isn't what this project has been getting, because I must have messed up... or I'm just reading too much into this. I've set it aside, then looked at it, looked at the pattern, set it aside... Just waiting for that "AHA!" moment because those are supposed to come, right?


I know it doesn't look messed up, but if I keep going, it will...

So do I rip back? do some plain stitches in hopes of starting again right... you know - improvise? Or even scrap this pattern altogether? (But when I think of that, I think of the sock I made... This shouldn't be much harder than that!) Or maybe I should just keep going in hopes that it will work out in the end?

Until I decide, I guess I'll just keep waiting for the "AHA!" Although the more I wait, the more frogging becomes highly probable.

Have you had projects you've been stuck on? Did your "AHA!" moment eventually come? (Is there any hope???) :)

5 comments:

  1. I dont' have any advice, but I hope you find a quick solution! It is frustrating when you feel "stuck" on a project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did once. I was knitting an item that I hadn't worked on for quite a while and had forgotten what some of the instructions meant. I woke up with it on my mind during the night and there it was, I knew exactly what that stitch was suppose to be. I had to try it first thing the next morning and it worked. I was so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished a robe for my husband that I started 3 1/2 years ago! My MIL gave me the pattern and materials, telling me it was just right for a beginner. Well, it was a bit over my head. I'm so glad I pulled it out yesterday. I still didn't understand exactly what I was supposed to do, but I finished it anyway, and I'm so glad it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I know that I made a mistake, I almost always unknit or frog, depending on the mistake. Then I start over, and sometimes I have to unknit/frog again! Once I understand the pattern fully then it is (usually!)smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the encouragement! :) I guess I'll just look at it as learning the pattern instead of loosing progress, right? Hooray for "smooth sailing!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!