Friday, September 18, 2009

Finished Object Friday

Time for Finished Object Friday, once again! Ok, this one is long overdue!! I finished this...hmmm... like over a year ago.



What is it, you ask?



A camera sock, of course! This is a project born out of necessity as well as the desire to try a new technique. I wanted a small lightweight cover for my camera to fit in my purse, so why not knit one? :) The yarn is leftover from my second pair of socks.

The neat thing is the technique - called Helix stripes. The basic idea is two colors worked at the same time, creating stripes, like if you were to weave two springs together. It may look a little complicated, but once I got started it made sense.

One reason I waited til now to post this is because it is hard to get a picture of your camera modeling the case! :) Here is the dinosaur I actually used to model - it's about 1/3 bigger than my little canon!


ETA: Courtney (bookflutterby) asked about the construction. I answered her on her blog, but thought someone else might want to know! :) I just started with a garter stitch flap, then knitted a circular tube until it was the length I wanted and used a three needle bind off. I don't remember how many stitches I cast on, but it is a little large for my digital camera.

Sorry non-knitters, for another knitterly FOF. For my knitting friends (and family... Hi, Jennifer!!), I hope you enjoyed it. Have you used this method before?

On the other hand... I've been up to more than just knitting!!! Hey, where did that come from??? :)
Hmmm... could it be a clue?? Stay tuned for a big surprise!!! :)

Now it's your turn. I enjoyed seeing the projects last time, and I can't wait to see this week's! If you are new to FOF click here.

Happy Friday!!

4 comments:

  1. Oooo this is perfect! I love doing photography, but I've dropped my poor camera so many times its a wonder it's still in one piece. Do you think you could explain how you did it? :D My sister told me to buy a camera case like hers, but I went to look at them and found they were $30.00! :O Thanks for the great idea!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be putting some of these in your etsy shop, right? Pretty please :) My poor little point and shoot gets way too much abuse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't really thought about it until this morning... hmmm... I would say that I will probably list some, when I get them knitted! :) I didn't realize my little project would be such a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the camera case! Poor camera's get so abused in our purses. Can't wait to see what the fabric is going to be. I finally have a FOF, can you believe it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!