Monday, October 6, 2008

Domesticating

My days have been so full recently, running here and there. I haven't really had time to putter around the house the way I like to every now and then. In general, I savor my times at home. As you know, I enjoy "wifey" things like sewing, baking, crafting, decorating and (sometime) cleaning. I like it when our home is in order, and Mark appreciates it as well! :) So today I have really enjoyed my time "domesticating."

I did a little decorating:

I added little lights to my fall mantle decorations. I love the warmth they add to the room!

I also did some baking and took a little time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
A cup of tea, warm pumpkin cookies (recipe here) and a good book.

The cookies are very good, they aren't supper sweet and kind of remind me of a scone. I bought the tea cup for a dollar at a flea market Friday along with several other glass dishes that I collect. The fabric is for some fall napkins that I hope to get made before fall is over! :) Oh, and the spoon is for my mother-in-law for her birthday. SHHH! :) It's so cute though, I may have to buy me one! :)

Now I'm off to finish the rest of my to-do list... laundry etc...

Happy Monday!!!

7 comments:

  1. I love your mantle! So pretty and seasonal! I did something similar except I couldn't find my white lights anywhere...ugh. Anyway, I have several candles, so it helps. I'm glad you mentioned the pumpkin cookies. I had forgotten about those, but now that you mentioned them....yummm. I think my recipe might be similar because they aren't real sweet. I think that's what I like about them. Mine do have frosting, so maybe it's not the same one. Anyway....they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mantel looks very nice. I love spending time at home too but shopping every now and then is good too. :) The cup of tea and cookies looks yummy, I think I'll come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy - I would love to see your recipe. This is the first time I've made anything with pumpkin! :)

    Melissa- Come on over! We'll do some shopping then come and have a cup of tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making things with pumpkin, it is so yummy. There is a recipe on my blog for Fall Pumpkin Squares, look under "Foor for every season."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to come over! It all looks so inviting with the cozy mantle and the tea and cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chari -

    The 'good book' you are reading...I've never read it, but heard that it is great! What do you think of it, and do you think it would be in my library? It's pretty old isn't it?

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph -
    Yes, the book is very old. I am enjoying it! It is Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell and was written in the 1860's. Bad thing is, she died before she could finish it, but I haven't got to the ending yet... the editors tell what will happen. It is quite long, but if you enjoy Jane Austin style literature, you will probably enjoy this. I actually watched the BBC adaptation first (which I also recommend) and that has helped me follow the story line. Our local library doesn't have it, but some bookstores carry it. You can also go to librivox.org and download the audio. (This is a site that volunteers read non-copyright material and you can download mp3s.) Let me know if you get to read it!

    (This comment has turned into a small essay! I should have mentioned the book more in my post. Oh, well...) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!