Thursday, January 12, 2012

Books, Books, Books....

If you don't know about my love (or obsession...) :) for books, then you haven't been around my blog long. I have a thing for books - good books! So much so, that I don't have shelves enough for all my favorites! (oh, dear!) And I married a guy who loves them almost as much as I do. (It's just one of the interests we share - many of our dates before we were married included a bookstore - and we still love hanging out in one!)

Today is January 12th and I just finished my second book this year.  (wait, maybe there was another one...) I know I could be reading more if I spent less time online, but I still manage to fit quite a bit in. I had fun listing what I read in my "Book List" tab. I didn't list every single book from 2011 on my book list, but counting the ones I listed I read at least 40 books. (I'm going to post my 2011 list below for reference and to remember....)

So what have I finished this year? Well, yesterday I finished Radical by David Platt - highly recommend! (I think it will be a basis for a future blog post... look for it.) :) Tonight I finished Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl by Dannah Gresh. I also started it tonight - a super quick read! And SOO good!! I think every mother of young girl(s) should read it!

Last year I had a list of books that I wanted to read. Most of them got read, one or two may have been removed. I still want to read Boundaries in Marriage. I haven't had time to think out my "to read" list for this year. I'll certainly be adding to what I didn't get to in 2011. So many books... soo little time!! :)

Do you have a reading list for 2012? Maybe you have some recommendations for me? I'm always open to suggestions for good books!!

Here's my finished list for 2011:
  • Courting Miss Amsel by Kim Vogel Sawyer - Sweet story about a schoolteacher in a rural farm community. She has some "revolutionary" ideas about education and life including wanting women to have the vote! :)
  • Choosing to See by MaryBeth Chapman - Excellent book! I was going to read a little bit each day, but once I got started, I couldn't put it down. That's not usually how it is with nonfiction for me! I highly recommend it! What a wonderful inspiration in spite of hardship.
  • The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen - Not my favorite of her books for some reason, but it could just have been the mood I was in. Still a good story, but it did take me a while to get through it. (Usually I can NOT put her books down. )
  • Grace Chapel Inn Series - A fun relaxing series to read. So far I've read: Tempest in a Teapot and Spring is in the Air
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - the classics deserve to be read and reread and reread...
  • Little Men 
  • Life with Father by Clarence Day (finished - wouldn't read again or recommend... watch the movie it's better - for once...) :) 
  • One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (Awesome book!! Maybe I'll post a review soon... although there is so much there, it would be hard to know what to talk about!) 
  • A Distant Melody - Book One in the Wings of Glory series. Review here.
  • A Memory Between Us - Book Two in Wings of Glory series
  • Strawberry Girl - I decided it is the summer of children's books... I'm reading some I've either never read or haven't read in a long time! Love this story of settlers in Florida!  
  • Miss Match - Eryn Mangum (rereading...there is a short review at the bottom of this post) :)
  • Redeeming Romance: Delighting in God's Love by Valorie Quesenberry 
  • Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Blue Skies Tomorrow - Book Three in Wings of Glory Series 
  • Mr. Harrison's Confessions by Elizabeth Gaskell 
  • Several "Ramona" books by Beverly Cleary. 
  • The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper (Started out well, but halfway through the plot started going crazy, unbelievable, and hard to follow.)
  • Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker - Love this author! This book was about a young woman diagnosed with breast cancer. Poignant and also light, fun reading. 
Book Reviews:

    5 comments:

    1. Looks like a great list! I'm going to have to check out several of these, they sound interesting.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just got several books from the Grace Chapel Inn series for Christmas. I'd never heard of them, but I'm glad you like them. I'm excited to start on them soon!

      ReplyDelete
    3. The book I've been recommending to everyone lately is Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson. It's a funny book about a boring spinster who writes a book (anonymously) about the people in her small village—and then they recognize themselves in it.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I am what could be called an avid reader and have been all my life. I remember discovering the Lois Lenski books when my girls began school so many years ago. Strawberry Girl was delightful along with all the other books Ms. Lenski wrote. I read lots of Christian fiction and enjoy it so much. I am very careful about any books I select that are fiction and not by an author of Christian fiction. We need to be so careful what we fill our minds with. I deeply regret some of the books I chose to read in my younger days. Some things just never leave one's mind. I enjoy reading your blog and chose to walk with Christ many years ago.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I also posted about my love for books....I wish I would have kept a record of all the books I read last year... although many of them were Amish stories. I have read some of the Grace Chapel Inn books and liked them very much. I read some others on your list as well...I think I best keep a record this year...just so I will know which ones and how many. Blessings on your new year Charity ....I pray many come to you and your husband in 2012.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting feedback and hearing from friends!